Freedom Pass

• Thread starter notunderstanding
  • Start date
N

notunderstanding

What are they? my psychiatrist is writing a "supporting letter" but I dunno if I even qualify, I didn't even know they existed, they just said they have enough information to write a letter?? What is it?

N

natalie

Hi, Notunderstanding,

A freedom pass, simply is a pass for free bus and t rain travel in the London areas of 1234, and you don't have to pay real money (buses haven't taken money in a long time now), for boarding buses, I have had over the years, i have enjoyed numerous trips on buses, in the London area, North London, thankfully without having to pay fares, happily horray.

I hope this helps.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
under something brown arranged and new labour a freedom pass also qualifies you for free bus travel in the uk, also a lot of places accept it as proof of disability for concessions

C

Charles48

A Freedom Pass only includes bus travel in the rest of England not elsewhere in the UK.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i didn't know that i assumed it included wales and scotland, i know theres a concessionary freedom pass it doesn't apply, they told the women at the disability centre all freedom passes are the same, she said well this one is different and described it, they said thats a concessionary pass for the mentally ill

that may be the issue with yours

C

Charles48

You usually get the same card as anyone else whose disability (of whatever type) entitles them to a Disabled Person's Freedom Pass. It doesn't indicate which of the several reasons apply to you so for all a bus driver knows you could be partially sighted or have a physical disability. Mental illness might have been mentioned if you have a local authority which is willing to finance travel for people who do not qualify for the reasons given in the Transport Act but that information as I understand it does not go beyond you and the persons dealing with you in your local council.
The main difference that you might get is that a pass issued on discretionary grounds (again not limited to mental illness) is only valid in Greater London and does not have the red rose indicating it can be used on local buses throughout England.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
whatever when the women described the pass to the women at the pass authority she said thats a concessionary pass for the mentally ill, i don't mind, i didn't like that time i admit when i was coming back from the dental hospital and this oap asked what i was doing with a free pass, i knew if i told her to mind her own business i'd spend the whole journey glared at by the other passengers for been rude to a pensioner

personally i find a pass issued on disability grounds stigmatising, if you show it on the bus the women smiling at you in the queue well the smile suddenly disapears

a friend was going on a walk with the haringey christians, it involved a journey to the country i told him about disability concessions but he didn't want them knowing he was disabled by having a disabled ticket, thought christians?

P

PP1331

I have a freedom pass on mental health grounds - you can get it automatically if you are on mobility component DLA/PIP (which can be more mental health related reasons e.g. anxiety about travel). You also qualify if you would be declined a driving licence were you to apply (doesn't matter whether you actually have applied) - this could be because you are on medication that impairs reaction times/concentration, you have dissociative episodes, or generally creates issues such as around impulse control and safety. So I think the letter from the psyche needs to emphasise that you would be unsafe to drive were you to try to, based on those reasons.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
j lost my mobility low rate dla on transfer to pip.i've got a provisional driving license and have a scooter

hardly use it not sure i'm safe