• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

freaking out

C

Chiefs444

I have been having a panic attack since this morning and none of my medication is working. I can't concentrate. I can't do my job to the best of my ability. I have to be here until 3:35 and I need some strategies. My dad is having triple by-pass surgery tomorrow and my mom is having surgery in 2 weeks. I'm having a difficult time being strong for everyone including myself. Help!

iffybob

iffybob

try this

Eat and sleep when you can, after a PA take sugar, Lucasaid or isotonic sports drinks with glucouse, even sweets like polo's that are full of sugar, they will help you feel less drained.

I

its all in my head

hi

I know exactly how you feel , you have a lot on going on. could you not ask work to give you compassionate leave or put some emergenci holidays in I'm sure with you circumstances they will be sympathetic at work I hope you get things sorted and wish you and family all the best and everything gose well

C

Chiefs444

Thank you

We are not to take sick days to take care for other people. Luckily, no one has questioned all of my sick days yet. I'm taking the rest of the week off and lots of meds. I think if they question me, I'm going to tell them that they were mental health days. Thanks so much for your support and suggestions.

K

Kat667

time off

I was sent home from work twice in past 2 months when panic attack happened at work. I work as a housekeeper in a hospital and they just wanted to make sure I was o.k. My dad had heart surgery last year (before I moved to Bath from Northern Ireland) and is fine but it was scarey at the time as he is quite young and my mum doesnt drive so I had to go up and down to the hospital with her. Surely employer would give you time off with all that is going on. I wish you all the best.

When doctor sent me for blood tests the phlebotomist told me she had the same thing and told me that distracting yourself with a book or T.V. helps. When I get panic attack it starts with a tense feeling at back of head followed by difficulty breathing, weird feeling in my ears and feeling spaced-out and I pace up and down outside holding the back of my neck for some reason. I just race to get outdoors and pace about for ages, it comes in 'waves' and lasts anything from half an hour to 4 hours or more.
My mum used to get them and I wonder if it's genetic.

The worst thing is when it happens in work and people ask 'are you o.k.?' which only makes things worse because I can't explain exactly what is wrong. And the pit of the stomach terror is the worst bit, it comes from nowhere. When I get them in work it frightens my colleagues, especially when I dash outside and walk up and down frantically in the rain.

Last edited:
iffybob

iffybob

Easy

I think every one reacts differntly, try not to be hard on yourself about any of it, others are just concerned for the most part but they dont know what to do that all.......

Take care ....... boB

R

RXQueen

Ah its horrible, i know it feels like nobody can help. I try to think that these feelings wont last forever even though i know it feels like they will.