• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Freaking Out!

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There's too much material to study. It's too much. I can't cope. Anxiety is through the roof. I can't focus or concentrate. I'm trying, but the harder I try the worse it gets.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

could you have a little break and see how you feel later? i hope you feel better soon and manage to get some study done xx

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I agree with Lu.
In fact, i'm sure i've read somewhere that taking regular breaks from working and studying actually increases productivity, as does having some micro-naps.
So yes, that's a good excuse to take it easy and look after yourself. :hug1:

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I couldn't even start studying before taking a "break." I wish I could just die. I really wish I could just die. Maybe a big truck could swerve into my lane on the highway. Or I could have a massive heart attack or an aneurism.

P

Poppyflower

Hi prairiechick, I can so relate to this! What are you studying? I'm studying psychology and I am already a whole four weeks behind on my course! I feel so overwhelmed by the mountain of work I have to get through that I don't even want to start going through it. However, On Friday I was actually six weeks behind but then I just decided to tackle it and I somehow managed to read two weeks worth of lecture notes and further reading in three days!

My point is, it is doable. You just have to start. Once you get going, and you get into the swing of, I bet you'll be fine! Perhaps try breaking it down and say to yourself that you will study for twenty minutes and then take a ten minute break. Then perhaps do another twenty minutes, or maybe thirty if you are feeling up to. Or something like that. You just have to be brave and make a start! And maybe pick a topic you like to start with, just to ease into it.

I understand how daunting it is though and it so tempting to just ignore it and pretend it isn't there (I have been doing that for four weeks!) Maybe try not to think how much you have to get done and just try to focus on making a start on it.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The more I look at my notes the more anxious I get. I am scared I am going to panic when I look at my exams tomorrow. Scared I'll start crying, have a meltdown. I have done that in exams before. It's not a totally unfounded fear.

pepecat

pepecat

How do you eat an elephant?

(this isn't a trick question, by the way)

One bite at a time.

So, if you have a task that looks huge - large amounts of material to study for an exam, for example - break it down into chunks. Maybe look at one lecture's worth of notes first. Or one topic first. Don't think about 'I've got 8 weeks worth of work to learn', because that really will freak you out and make it seem insurmountable. Try thinking 'Ok, I'll do those two pages'. And then do a couple more, and so on.

You do have to start though - and that's always the hardest bit. It's like cycling, or ice skating - you need to push off and get the momentum up a bit, otherwise nothing will happen.

There's that saying 'Even a journey of a thousand miles must start with a single step'. Rather than think of the whole journey, take one step - look at one lot of notes, or study for 15 mins; small bits. Then do another step. And another, and so on.

S

SandalwoodSummer

Stress will only exacerbate things. I think you need to reduce the pressure you are under. Have you taken on too much?

K

Khuu556

I was learning Urdu(Pakistani, looks like Arabic) for a short while in the military, and I felt the same way. There was really no way to learn it at first except through pure memorization. We had daily vocabulary quizzes, so I had to write the words out until I got them down. There were usually at least twenty words. It gets ridiculous when everything looks like chicken scratch. I always had to invest at least three to four hours each night, and I always felt behind. We had so much information crammed in eight hours of class. However, what I learned was to take things a little at a time. When it came to language learning, I couldn't just memorize it. I had to immerse myself into the culture and find any creative/fun way to learn. It was stressful to say the least. However, like the others said, I had to take increment breaks, even power naps. Learn to relax a little. The more I stressed the more I found information did not stick. Plus, I liked to stop studying an hour before bed so I could have time to wind down. I found I did best on quizzes that way.

Last edited: