• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Foundation trusts

L

Lyra

Founding Member
Our local trust is a foundation trust.
We were promised we would be more involved in what goes on in the trust if you became a member so I joined very enthusiastically.
What a disappointment - 6 months on and all I've had is one pathetic news letter telling me nothing. The governors are supposed to represent the views of us service users but no-one has bothered to ask any of us for our views or consult with us - we have no idea how to contact them, there has been no opportunity to meet them - what a waste of time. More involvement my foot!!!!

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Now I know why I didn't bother. My Foundation Trust sent similar letters to me and I hummed and haaared but didn't go for it, on the basis that it would probably be a waste of time. I based that opinion by the way my counsellor treated me.

Guess that was a good decision then :(

They talk the talk...:(

D

Dollit

I joined my trust and we're just electing the governors so I'll let you know what happens - if anything.

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
I will await news with interest. Here's hoping your experience is different to ours Dollit, your time here will no doubt provide u with valuable insight which u can pass on. I just hope someone bleedin' listens :eek:

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Very interested to hear everyone's experiences. My trust is in the process of becoming a foundation. I have joined but am --- well let's say sceptical :) - as to what will happen.

Nick.

D

Dollit

I think this is one of those things were, if we orchestrate things, we could make a difference. We can maybe pass on the positives that are happening in other areas to our own etc.?

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I think this is one of those things were, if we orchestrate things, we could make a difference. We can maybe pass on the positives that are happening in other areas to our own etc.?
Definitely Dollit :)

Nick.

C

charlie

Founding Member
I'm a meeber of the lincolnshire foundation trust too and am very disappointed in the way they have made no effort at all to consult with me as a service user.
Its all talk as far as I can see.
How can a governor represent the members when they make no effort to engage with us.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I'm a meeber of the lincolnshire foundation trust too and am very disappointed in the way they have made no effort at all to consult with me as a service user.
Its all talk as far as I can see.
How can a governor represent the members when they make no effort to engage with us.

Well they can't charlie!

Does your trust have any service user representatives on its board? If they do then I would suggest you find out who they are and ask them what they are doing to find out users views/represent users.

Nick.

S

Shannon

Founding Member
I became a governor of a new Foundation Trust last November. I have high hopes and expectations that foundation status will give us a renewed incentitive to involve people in the running of the Trust. (Although I cant understand why trusts need the excuse of foundation status to engage the community and staff).

But although I have these hopes and expectations I can also see the reality from the trusts view point. Engaging a membership is a completely new way of working. How do they do it? What's the best way? Where the additionally resource? In my trust the approach seems to be putting the time and resource into supporting the governors to have a thorough induction so we know what the hell we are doing. Getting 45 of us to work together is no mean feat.

Part of the reason I got involved as a governor was to help them out with their engagement of the wider membership (I do user involvement as my day job). But we can change over night - as much as I would love us to.

Shannon - making her debut post on the mental health forum

D

Dollit

Hi Shannon and welcome and look forward to hearing more from you on this subject. It's quite a lively debate re SUI!

M

Michael

Founding Member
It's a bit like being at work here, If I want to know something then I have actively to go and find it, if left alone most people (I know) will gladly just get along doing whatever.
Procedures are put in place to facilitate active involvement, these need constant kick starting to ensure they used. No feed back on what has been presented then even less will be generated - almost like a self perpetuating machine.
It is a two way process, sometimes if one of the sides doesn't ask or answer then a stalemate occurs.
Really has to be headed by someone who is really enthusiastic about participation, and not just looking for a quiet life.

Just my thoughts

Michael

C

charlie

Founding Member
Well still no attempt to contact the members by our governors.
What a waste of time - they've been governors for seven months now. How are they representing us - I think they are only interested in being governors to put forward their own point of view.
I'm thinking of resigning my membership.

D

Dollit

Charlie if you resign your membership you'll never get the chance to put forward your point of view - leave the door open even if it is a sceptical one.