• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Found this petition for dbt funding

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
That is a great thing. I have always been disappointed with how people with BPD were treated in my NHS trust. There should not need to be a petition though.

Delilah67

Delilah67

That is a great thing. I have always been disappointed with how people with BPD were treated in my NHS trust. There should not need to be a petition though.
Wholeheartedly agree

I

Idk13579

Done. I was shocked to discover from my former GP appointed person centered counsellor had never heard of dbt.

Delilah67

Delilah67

The mental health team counsellor attached to my gp surgery hadn’t heard of DBT either .... scary!

G

Ginger Kitten

I have got bipolar disorder and found out about DBT on the net. I realised immediately it would help me. I repeatedly asked my psychiatrist to refer me for it and eventally he managed to persuade colleagues within our MH Trust that it would help me. I knew it would: anything that improves emotional regulation will help someone who has trouble with emotional regulation (me). However, it was only a 12-week course and it has disbarred me from ever having it again because I don't fit the 'protocol' for it, ie, I don't have BPD/EUPD. I've got a mood disorder not a personality disorder.
It annoys me but there's nothing I can do about it, other than look into private DBT, which I can't afford because I'm on benefits and only work 2 days a week, due to my illness. Stress (and I'm being bullied at work) immediately triggers symptoms. DBT was the one thing that worked. I've repeatedly been given CBT, which I find utterly useless: like sticking a plaster on an open wound. There, that's my perspective: sorry for the rant!

L

lemontree

I have also signed it

L

lemontree

I have got bipolar disorder and found out about DBT on the net. I realised immediately it would help me. I repeatedly asked my psychiatrist to refer me for it and eventally he managed to persuade colleagues within our MH Trust that it would help me. I knew it would: anything that improves emotional regulation will help someone who has trouble with emotional regulation (me). However, it was only a 12-week course and it has disbarred me from ever having it again because I don't fit the 'protocol' for it, ie, I don't have BPD/EUPD. I've got a mood disorder not a personality disorder.
It annoys me but there's nothing I can do about it, other than look into private DBT, which I can't afford because I'm on benefits and only work 2 days a week, due to my illness. Stress (and I'm being bullied at work) immediately triggers symptoms. DBT was the one thing that worked. I've repeatedly been given CBT, which I find utterly useless: like sticking a plaster on an open wound. There, that's my perspective: sorry for the rant!
That's really sad that they would do this, I have heard that DBT helps with many mental health disorders it seems really stupid that they would make out like you "don't need it". ESPECIALLY given how many people with bi-polar are misdiagnosed with BPD and vice versa :doh:

G

Ginger Kitten

Yes Lemontree, but there are many things within NHS services that are unfair. It may be that in another trust, it might be allowed; honestly, I doubt it but it's possible. The trusts run independently. It will also be a question of funding: if they provide it for me it would open the possibility to others and the service might be inundated. I am also pretty sure it's a funding and resources issue. The complex needs dept who run this service won't have enough money or trained personnel to meet potential demand. And there is also the fact that hardly any research has been done on DBT's efficacy in bipolar patients, so there's no evidence base to support it. And for obvious reasons, the NHS will only operate under an evidence base for treatment. Finally, it works for me but might not for others, so until more research is done, I guess it represents a risk. I find it disappointing but there's not much I can do about it, unfortunately.

I will sign the petition because it will help others.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I hope you enjoy your Easter Monday. Kind regards, GK.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i just wonder who started the petition some dbt therapist hoping for more money, in some ideal world there probably are alternatives to the drugs i'm on but this is a world with an underfunded health system, i guess if you want you can join some org advocating revolution

C

candycane

I agree,but sadly funding for mental health,is being cut,or done away with World-Wide.
I signed the form.
I am not from the UK,I am from the United States of America.
I am a global Parish Pastor,with an online Church,and I am a Pastoral Counselor,I am passionate,when it comes to mental health issues.
I am also passionate, when it comes to the disabled.
I have a Learning Disability and have suffered from depression.
My depression,is no longer a problem.
But I do care about helping others,in any way I can.
So if I have to sign a form,then I sign a form.