• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Foster parents have my childhood photos still.

porkpie

porkpie

I'm in a difficult position. My foster parents retired from fostering 6 years ago and I haven't been in contact since, we just drifted apart. I knew they was moving house 6 years ago because on passing they had a for sale sign outside their house so I wrote them a letter asking if my Psychiatrist could get in touch because they wanted to know my childhood background and they had nobody to ask. I told them how much I missed them as well, I hand delivered the letter 3am in the morning, they never wrote back.

I gave my Psychiatrist their address and she wrote to them and later rang them, I know this because while I was sectioned in hospital a patient was on 1 to 1 observations and died in his room, in the kerfuffle the deputy manager who was observing the patient left a letter about me on the floor where she was sitting, I picked it up and it said my foster parents basically didn't want anything to do with and me not to know they've been in contact.

Indecently I bumped into my old foster brother who lived at that foster placement perviously ( Haven't spoke to him in 6 years also) to me working in a restaurant who might be in contact with my foster parents, do you think its wise to write to him at his work and ask if he could possible ask my foster parents for my photos back, I would give him a incentive like £1000 if he can achieve it or would that be rude?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hey porkpie, sounds like a tough situation.
Just to clarify - do you have a current address for your foster parents, or is your old foster brother the only person who probably knows where they live?

If he's your only bet, I do think it's worth asking him for their contact details and trying to contact them yourself.
I understand that might be really difficult and bring up painful emotions, but asking for your photographs is not an unreasonable request because they're your property.

I do just want to say i'd be extremely careful about offering him cash to get your these photos - I don't think it's rude, but I do think it's putting you in an extremely vulnerable situation where you could be taken advantage of.
If I were you, I wouldn't offer anything and see how likely it is that you'll be able to get the photos first.