• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Forming an unhealthy attachment to the person who help you?

D

daisy20

Hey everyone. I was hoping someone on here would have some advice for me.

I've been physically ill over the past year, and it's been really hard on me emotionally. I'm not dying. I don't have cancer. I'm just simply not well. None of my family members have really been there for me, and I don't want to drag my friends down (especially because they're too young to be burdened with this stuff), so I've been suffering through it alone - which in turn has contributed to some moderate depression.

There is only one person in my life who genuinely understands the position I'm in and really seems to care. I usually only see this person briefly, but those short meetings are the only thing that makes me feel better. I'm becoming extremely attached to this person, to the point where our next meeting is the only thing I can look forward to for weeks and the waiting time in-between can be almost painful. The problem is that she's my GP and it's really not a good idea for me to become this attached to her...especially considering the fact that as I start to get well, our visits are going to become less and less frequent. I know that this attachment is only going to hurt me in the end.

Has anyone else experienced an unhealthy attachment as a part of the process of emotional healing? How did you overcome it or cope with it? Any advice for dealing with this?

W

whatstheproblem?

I'm so glad im not alone here- constantly have to supress my emotions toward my dr and remind myself that the feelings I have for her are not real. I feel very attatched to her and when I have an appointment it's all I can think about for days before- I feel like I long to be around her. I used to feel like this with a teacher and I'm sure other authority figures if I think about it, but know that it's really not healthy and am very aware that I can never let anyone find out for presumably I would have to change gp. At least we both know we are forming unhealthy attatchments and aren't deluded enough as to think they feel the same for us! If I start to feel like that I really will worry!! :unsure:

Enpi

Enpi

I have such a feeling towards my karate teacher