• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Forgive me?

I

Iceblock

If we do something to harm or upset somebody, I don't think we should say, "Oh, please forgive me!" Instead, we should say, "Don't forgive me!", or words to that effect. Because by begging for forgiveness, we're actually validating the wrong thing that we did. If we were genuinely contrite, we'd want punishment of some kind, not forgiveness. Forgiveness is like the person saying, "It's all right, you didn't do anything wrong." If we get that message, we go on our way happily, but without having made amends. If we're conscientious people, we will later suffer even deeper regret. And that can lead to self harm, I think.

T

Tl24Nz

everyone sorry deserves forgiveness.

I

Iceblock

Well, yes, and I'm not saying that they don't, TI24Nz ... if they're genuinely sorry. But by the same token, if they're genuinely sorry, they may not necessarily feel better when they get forgiveness. Simply receiving forgiveness is not always as beneficial to the person's conscience and mental health as making amends is. That's the point I'm making.