• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Forever fearing the worst case scenarios

E

EclipticNight

Thats really rough, sorry to hear it. It would drive me mad forever.

zula77

zula77

Yes I get this...I lie awake at night going over previous situations mostly nights out when I was at uni which was a troubling time for me and imagining worse and worse situations that may or may not have happened

Focussing on the fact that I have moved on and am not in contact with anyone from that time helps. We all have past moments we'd rather forget and we should be kind enough to let ourselves forget them

P

prsn

Certainly is, the hardest bit for me is that I’m worried about how a 1 night stand feels about what happened, (she instigated things towards me, but we were both drunk)

but to your point, because i have no idea who this person is now I will never know which means I can’t make the obsession “over” if that makes sense
Maybe you could try a Gestalt type technique to help the brain complete the circle and put this particular 'one night stand' into its correct part of your memory. You could write a letter to the person explaining how you feel about your encounter with her and then burn the letter. The classic Gestalt method is the empty chair technique which might also work if you google empty chair and Gestalt you will find it. Try to use your imagination to create more positive images maybe write a story or try some creative art after all it is your imagination that you are using to create this scenario. Imagine someone came into your house and painted a terrible image on your wall every day looking at it causes you distress, you would paint over it or remove it and that is what you can do with this 'story' you have created change it to a more positive one.

A

Adroberts4816382

Yes I get this...I lie awake at night going over previous situations mostly nights out when I was at uni which was a troubling time for me and imagining worse and worse situations that may or may not have happened

Focussing on the fact that I have moved on and am not in contact with anyone from that time helps. We all have past moments we'd rather forget and we should be kind enough to let ourselves forget them
Agree zula, my obsessions and thoughts are dark, I know I’ve never attacked anyone or done anything like that but I always worry about what people *could* say.... I.e. lie about me, etc

A

Adroberts4816382

Maybe you could try a Gestalt type technique to help the brain complete the circle and put this particular 'one night stand' into its correct part of your memory. You could write a letter to the person explaining how you feel about your encounter with her and then burn the letter. The classic Gestalt method is the empty chair technique which might also work if you google empty chair and Gestalt you will find it. Try to use your imagination to create more positive images maybe write a story or try some creative art after all it is your imagination that you are using to create this scenario. Imagine someone came into your house and painted a terrible image on your wall every day looking at it causes you distress, you would paint over it or remove it and that is what you can do with this 'story' you have created change it to a more positive one.
What a refreshingly different idea, thank you for your suggestion I am going to try that

A

Adroberts4816382

Like focusing on things that are really quite unlikely to ever happen?
Oh yes 100% it’s ridiculously unlikely, but I think because what I worry about being accused of would be deemed *so* bad and there’s such a stigma attached to it, it makes it feel real

P

Painismybestfriend

Partly related and down to intrusive thoughts too. A lot of is just an inner voice in your head that appears out of nowhere but you can't shake off. It's not destroying the monkey 🐒🐵 but taming it.

R

Reecandoit

This is me all day everyday I can totally relate and it sucks. I was telling my therapist yesterday that i just want to be normal, I’m so tired of worrying about every little thing and coming up with crazy scenarios in my mind and worrying about them to the point I can’t function or sleep. You’re not alone 😫.

P

prsn

This is me all day everyday I can totally relate and it sucks. I was telling my therapist yesterday that i just want to be normal, I’m so tired of worrying about every little thing and coming up with crazy scenarios in my mind and worrying about them to the point I can’t function or sleep. You’re not alone 😫.
I am going to say a crazy thing which is gonna sound like so much bull to everyone but realising we are mortal and accepting that we cannot change the fact that death will happen for us all was the key for me. However this happened over many years of existential crisis and certainly would not have helped the ego filled being I was when in my 20's 30's or even 40's. I would say to keep on trying to access help medical and spiritual the more pillars of support I built the more I had available to fall back on in the bad moments.
Sorry if this does not help as I know we are all different and unique but believe me that busy mind scenario is so familiar to me. Amitriptyline is my sleep helper these days and works a treat for me to quiet the mind along with meditation feed the beast with meds and the spirit with meditation and exercise

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Hi everyone,

Relatively new here, but I am really struggling with mental health and the fear of worst case scenarios (see other posts of mine)

Does anyone else suffer with this? I invent a scenario in my head, of something that could have happened and then obsess over it, and worry myself silly.

latest theme is previous mad nights out and sexual partners etc, mad one night stands that I have hazy memories of

Feeling like I’m a bad person for this.

anyone feel similar?
Been there, done that. You need to forgive yourself and move on with your life.

Everybody makes mistakes, the main thing is to learn from them and don't repeat them.

I'm so old I can't even remember my one night stands-and that's tragic. :(