• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Forced recovery?

B

Bellalavender

Over the lockdown my bad body image and eating habits escalated into a full ED. I was already in therapy for other reasons so I thought it wouldn’t get any worse but I’m now restricting more than ever. I was talking to my therapist about this and she said if I can’t up my intake of calories she will involve my doctor and parents. I have no idea what to do I don’t think I’m ready for that yet and it honestly sounds so scary too eat that much but I really don’t want to worry my family either. I would love some advice as there’s no one really in person i can talk to about this.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. I understand how scary it is to have doctors and your parents involved but you really need some help. You will not be forced to eat a lot at once. It will be gradual. I am posting the link of an eating disorders organisation. You will find a lot of support on there with people who understand what you are going through.

M

Mary26

Ultimately, no one can force you to recover if you don't want to. But it may be helpful to know that you may not want to recover until you're in recovery for a few reasons. You need to be well nourished to be able to even think clearly enough to make the decision.Also the eating disorder thoughts spiral when nothing challenges them. And when you start to understand what's behind the eating disorder you may feel empowered and find other ways to deal with whatever you're feeling. I know how comfortable it is when you're in it but when you see that you don't have to live this way you may choose freedom. And we fool ourselves into thinking we have control but the truth is there is this "voice" that tells us what to do and we obey it. The recovery journey teaches us so much about ourselves that despite the discomfort we grow in such profound ways that it can really be quite exciting.

P

Purpleplum

Can you start upping the calories just a little bit so that they can see you're wanting to get healthier? Think about it...restricting lowers your metabolism because the body feels starvation so it goes into self protective mode...that means it burns calories slower. If you start eating more, your metabolism will start increasing again.

K

katwomyn3

It's true you can't force yourself to recover if you do not want to. If you do it for your family, you will find some way to cheat or end up resenting them. But, you need to question yourself, do you want to be this way any longer? Right now, the scope of the future seems isolated and bleak, but once things go back to normal, do you want to run your life in this way. It is not sustainable as much as you try to convince yourself it could be. It is how the ED thoughts tricks us it could be. It starts with a schedule in which we will do this and that around food, but you will find yourself missing out on so many things because you are restricted or restricting yourself. It is an unhappy life to think you can live this way in the long run.
If you go into treatment you need to be honest with yourself, otherwise you are wasting your time and the hopes of your loved ones. It sounds mean to say it in this way, but I was forced into treatment as a teenager, and today I am angry at myself for wasting all that time being in treatment when I didn't want to and cheated my way out. I wasted so much time and so many experiences, and the hopes of my loved ones. Think this through and really sit with yourself and be with yourself honestly, is this who want to be?