For the sceptics among us

Kerome

Kerome

I’ve been quite enjoying these, because of the copious notes. It’s easy to see when you’re getting into an area rich in contradictions, problems with family values and so on. I’ve been revisiting some passages such as the Song of Solomon, just to see how it is annotated.

H

hongli

That sounds really interesting! Thank you for sharing.

I haven't had a chance to read through yet, but one thing that I notice from skeptics is that they bring up things like women's rights and slavery...but the Bible is set more than 2 millenia ago and those things were pretty apparent still until not so long ago. It's important that when crticizing to place yourself in that timeline and see it through that lense, rather than through our modern lense. It's like saying our ancestors were stupid compared to us because they didn't have the understanding of the world that we have now, when it's not really comparable at all.

I will probably take a read! Maybe this author did a good job of reading it through the lense of the ancient times and that I just ranted for nothing haha.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

I find these interesting. I've read things like this. The Bible and women parts breaks my heart. :cry2: That's one of the reasons I left Christianity. But the Bible GOD still terrifies me. I still fear I am going to Hell! :panic: I couldn't find the Skeptics Annotated Quran though. :scratch:

Kerome

Kerome

I must admit, I’m finding the annotated Quran funnier than the annotated Bible :)

Kerome

Kerome

There’s much more talk of being sent to the Fire or having a Doom in the afterlife in the Quran than in the Bible, from a quick glance, although I have to say that doesn’t make much sense since in the afterlife you won’t have a body to feel things with. Just sayin’... if there is an afterlife at all, and the jury is still out on that one.

Kerome

Kerome

This is my first reading of sections of the Quran, and I’m skipping backwards and forwards a bit but I have to say from a literary point of view I’m finding it less digestible than the bible. A lot of the Quran seems to be in very small segments of text, whereas the bible still contains some decent length stories. It’s interesting to compare the two, and to note the stories that occur in both, such as Moses and Abraham.

But it is interesting that the Quran contains a lot of threats for unbelievers, and a lot of praising of Allah. If I were to compare it to the Buddhist Pali cannon, they are very different books, and they set their readers on very different paths mentally.