• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

For the benefit of jackskellington.

What is your experience of bi-polar?

• I suffer mostly from mania with some (or few) depressive periods.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I suffer mostly from depression with some (or few) manic periods.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • My moods quickly cycle.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • My moods take some time to cycle.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Thought I'd open a thread where we could discuss our personal experiences of affect/mood change. Jackskellington was saying in another thread that her mania and depression cycled rapidly. I have no experience of this as mine usually have a good distance between. I was thinking it might be worthwhile if any of you have similar experiences for her (or others) to hear about them...

(multiple choices of the four options, i.e. two of the four, allowed)

Last edited:
jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
Thank you :)
I look forward to reading some opinions

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Although not classed as rapid cycling as my highs are not as bad as they were (due to Depakote) But i still have at east 2 a year when i get into problems but the depression i have seems to be there virtually most of the time. I get several times a day when i feel unable to cope, and its then that i fear the most in case i do any thing ,then it will fade again.

I know i suffer with anxiety and take buspirone and inderol for that and they have helped but nothing seems to alleviate the depression. I am on the max dose of sertraline but that doesnt seem to work.

Im not sure if its because ive been on them for a while but any advice on how to ease the depression would be appreciated:tea:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I, when not medicated, have more manic periods than depression. That said about a year ago I had some real horrible lows. I found if I could get myself doing something it seemed a bit better. That said at really bad points I give up and take duvet therapy with the radio on in the background. I'm a devout pillow cuddler...

jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
I find it really hard to motivate myself to do anything during my lows... I have a bad habit of staying in bed, locked in my room, and I don't see anyone cos I don't want to put them through seeing me like that... but during my highs I'm unstoppable, I phone my friends etc sometimes 4 or 5 times in quite a short space of time to babble at them about absolutely nothing at all, and I find it really hard to stay in one place for longer than a few minutes.
It's definitely very wearing and tiring to have so many different moods within a 24 hour period!

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The thing i find exhausting is panic attacks. It can take me a couple of days to get over one of them

jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
I don't have many panic attacks, maybe one a month
but yeah, I know what you mean, they can take me a day or more to recover
:sleep:

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
found myself facing "the wall" at the moment

For about 6 weeks now I have refused to accept the old symtoms are coming back. ( It even makes my stomach turn typing that in ) Find myself staring into space and last night contimplating suicide -

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Midnight i send you a big:hug:

Its awful when youfeel likethat .Have you seen your psych to see if anything can be done. Maybe going to a day centre might help. I too am feeling pretty low at the moment but am going to phne my SW on monday to see if she can come out and see me. Quite often when im ill shell come out 2 or 3 times a week to moniter me.

Take care

xxx

D

Dollit

Midnight are you okay sweetie? It's heartbreaking when it all starts coming back but we're here for you now and we'll do out best to get you through this. :hug:

jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
Hi midnight
I hope you're ok...
If you need to chat or vent then I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we're all here to listen and help where we can :hug:

lucid scream

lucid scream

I actually enjoy my manic periods, rarely do I get so revved up I cant think clearly, so that has never been a problem. Has happened though, is like the stop that is between my thoughts and my mouth dissappears, and its a non-stop stream of disjointed thoughts. Can be bad news, if Im around someone I dont care for or even just have thoughts about them that are better left unsaid...
The depressive cycle is another story. I have been catatonic, though not many times. But I will refuse to leave my room for days, not eat, etc.

But my meds dulled the extremes quite a bit.

jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
I don't know whether I have manic periods or not, I do get very hyper and talkative, and during these periods I am usually full of thoughts and ideas... but not manic to the degree that some people are describing here
but during my lows I also have so many thoughts going round my head at any one time that I can't think clearly and this can be very distressing
Does anyone know if there is a name for this?

D

Dollit

There are degrees of bipolar disorder - a lot of us here are on the extreme end of the scale. My psych has me keep mood charts from time to time. 0 is the lowest you ever get without actually killing yourself and 9 is the highest you can get. 4, 5 & 6 are in the normal range - 4 is one of those days you just can't get going, 6 is a day when you get through everything in mega quick time but you're not high. Use that as a guideline and you'll soon realise if you may be going out of the normal range. If you are then the sensation of being low but with racing thoughts is known as a 'mixed state'. I don't know which I hate more, that or being high. :)

jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
Hey Dollit
How are you today?
I found something online today after just doing some random research, and it's bothering me a little... sounds daft but this page describes me more closely than anything else I have ever read...

http://www.palace.net/~llama/psych/bpd.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Bipolar Forum 6