• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

For people who isolate because of social anxiety, paranoia etc

B

Blackrose09

I'm making this thread for for people who isolate themselves due to social anxiety and other reasons.
Maybe they can suport each other and help each other here.
(I suffer with this too, I understand a little but I don't think I can change and I don't deserve support and I don't know how to help)

Zaz2020

Zaz2020

I've been isolated and disconnected from society for so many years now that I've kind of accepted that way of life. The clincher for me though is when I look at society and the way of the world and I think "why would I want to be a part of that anyway."
This always causes issues for me especially when in therapy or a treatment plan when everything is geared up to getting you back into society and I'm sitting there thinking "you must be crazy to want to be part of that".
Of course should I say this out loud (as I have often) to those who are there to help me I'm told maybe you're not ready for this yet and it would be better to try again when you're in a better place. At this point I laugh sarcastically and leave the room feeling let down yet again.
After 30 years of not coping with life and struggling to keep going I'm ready... I'll never be more ready to face my health issues...and if a better place was to be found you'd think I'd have found it by now.
But I needn't worry. There's help available. All I have to do is ask...laughs historically and leaves the room 🙂

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah I've been doing this. Just staying in the room. Usually get a walk in though for an hour and do cooking. Situation for me is living with two brothers in a small house that belongs to just one brother. The other two of us are isolators if I can make up that word. I think the impression others might get is "he just likes to keep to himself" or "he's a quiet type, not talkative or social." Not always true but people are not thinking then of the key behind the behavior, something every human experiences all the time.. the feeling of anxiety.

People can even feel rejected, hurt and angry at the isolator. They make it about themselves in that case, because they don't fathom the real reason for the isolator's actions. He may be considered lazy, irresponsible, arrogant, poor at communication, weird, shy (likely true), quiet, not interested in others.. I'm sure there's more. He's probably some of these things sometimes. But that's not where it's at. It's an incomplete picture without reading into the anxiety, that the other is feeling. And how do we read that anyway?

Observation can help with this. Most people don't do much of this, I've observed. To see someone else without any evaluative thought, that's the ticket to seeing them.

I

irwin

I self-isolate mainly because my self-esteem is so low, I don't want to be around most people. People can be judgmental asses -- especially when they sense a person has low self-esteem.

jajingna

jajingna

I guess really the only way that works is to explain why we do this isolating, can't just hope others will figure it out. A lot of people are not aware what a common "condition" this is.

DanL15000

DanL15000

I've found I can isolate in my house, in my car, in places I've never been and around people I don't know.

I'm happier than I've ever been.

And I'm not hurting anyone, nor am I being a burden. And the most wonderful thing is I don't have to wonder what people are thinking about me all the time.

Unfortunately, too many people around me seem to think I need to be cured of this and try to force me out of my happy life.

I JUST sent a note to a nephew who tried to call me without even warning me first. I said, "I don't feel like talking." Hey, I'm not having a bad day. It's a pretty good day. I'm even thinking of spending money and getting some takeout.

But now I know that somewhere a relative is wondering if I'm in some dire straights and all that crud. No! I'm just happy today. Like usual. Leave me alone! :D

M

ManDss

I kind of isolate, but I dnt have social anx, I really dnt like the people I come across.

Not because they are bad people, just because they are not my type, and Im not their type either.
I "hate" having to talk with people, Ill preffer go trough life mostly in silent, and just tall with people I really care.

Hate have to say Hi to people I dont care, and tell them about my life, and make up things to put some words in the air (#have-a-conversation).

Valka

Valka

This sums me up. I don't leave my house at all really. I don't think I've gone out in around four months now.