• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

food repulses me

wasteman420

wasteman420

I've always been a foodie and admittedly had minor problems with excessive snacking throughout my life, but it was never really an issue of great concern. I had it under control and could easily drift back into normal eating habits after a particularly piggish week. But now I find myself with the opposite problem. I know the root of the issue is anxiety, like I literally cannot stomach anything without feeling nauseous and agitated. And having this experience has caused me to be anxious about eating, so even if I'm not feeling especially anxious about anything else, as soon as I eat or think about eating it triggers me. My stomach feels so empty but I can't bare to eat... nothing tastes good anymore, either too bland or too strong, textures are vile, everything smells unappealing.

I've reached a bit of a wall. I was previously smoking a lot of marijuana in an effort to chill me out and give me some kind of appetite, however, being stoned all the time really interferes with my productivity which is not really ideal when you're trying to complete a bachelor's degree from home amidst the pandemic. Plus it was starting to make my anxiety worse due to feeling guilty about it, but without it I can barely eat.

I just feel like i'm stuck in a big old cycle of bad habits and unhappiness. Feeling too anxious to eat; using unhealthy coping mechanisms to counteract it; feeling guilty and anxious about said coping mechanism therefore rendering it useless; becoming depressed and feeling generally miserable and rotten for lack of nutrients; depression exacerbating the lack of appetite; aaaand repeat.

anyways, thankyou for coming to my ted talk, hope whoever is reading is doing okay (but if you're on here, probably not, right?).

peace

JessisMe

JessisMe

I've always been a foodie and admittedly had minor problems with excessive snacking throughout my life, but it was never really an issue of great concern. I had it under control and could easily drift back into normal eating habits after a particularly piggish week. But now I find myself with the opposite problem. I know the root of the issue is anxiety, like I literally cannot stomach anything without feeling nauseous and agitated. And having this experience has caused me to be anxious about eating, so even if I'm not feeling especially anxious about anything else, as soon as I eat or think about eating it triggers me. My stomach feels so empty but I can't bare to eat... nothing tastes good anymore, either too bland or too strong, textures are vile, everything smells unappealing.

I've reached a bit of a wall. I was previously smoking a lot of marijuana in an effort to chill me out and give me some kind of appetite, however, being stoned all the time really interferes with my productivity which is not really ideal when you're trying to complete a bachelor's degree from home amidst the pandemic. Plus it was starting to make my anxiety worse due to feeling guilty about it, but without it I can barely eat.

I just feel like i'm stuck in a big old cycle of bad habits and unhappiness. Feeling too anxious to eat; using unhealthy coping mechanisms to counteract it; feeling guilty and anxious about said coping mechanism therefore rendering it useless; becoming depressed and feeling generally miserable and rotten for lack of nutrients; depression exacerbating the lack of appetite; aaaand repeat.

anyways, thankyou for coming to my ted talk, hope whoever is reading is doing okay (but if you're on here, probably not, right?).

peace
There are antidepressants you can take that also
stimulate your appetite. Had you thought about checking in with your doctor to see what options might be available to you?