• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Focussing

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
has anyone any experience of focussing?

i have just been to see my counsellor and she suggested doing this instead of talking.

quite a weird experience - not sure what i was supposed to do but by the end of the session felt something (energy) had shifted.

she spoke all the time in a very quiet voice - quite difficult to hear her at times because of the background noise in the GP surgery.

she has suggested taking things easy tonight perhaps have a bath or such like.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
"Focusing is a way of bringing compassionate attention to something in your life that needs it -- allowing you to untangle issues over which you feel blocked or confused. It provides a way to be with feelings which well up, without either being driven by them or pushing them away. The essence of the technique is to bring our awareness to bodily-felt responses such as ‘butterflies' or 'a lump in the throat'. It is possible to tune in to such sensations - and many other similar and more subtle ones - and to learn a great deal from them about how we react to what is going on in our lives.

Kay Hoffmann

I think this quote taken from the link dunglen kindly provided sums up how 'focussing' can help anyone (y)

D

Dollit

I had a look at this site and to me it looked like it had culled bits of mindfulness and other stuff and merged them together. It seemed to hint a lot of what it was but not how it was done - personally I'd need to know more before I shelled out for this (or any other therapy).

Aahbut

Aahbut

That description on the site was vaguer than my CBT description. I expect each session costs more for that very reason. Did someone say cynic? :p

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
That description on the site was vaguer than my CBT description. I expect each session costs more for that very reason. Did someone say cynic? :p
It is not 'cynical' to try and 'appreciate' others ideas,it IS 'cynical' to be 'ignorant' of others ideas !

:tea: