• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Focussing

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
has anyone any experience of focussing?

i have just been to see my counsellor and she suggested doing this instead of talking.

quite a weird experience - not sure what i was supposed to do but by the end of the session felt something (energy) had shifted.

she spoke all the time in a very quiet voice - quite difficult to hear her at times because of the background noise in the GP surgery.

she has suggested taking things easy tonight perhaps have a bath or such like.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
"Focusing is a way of bringing compassionate attention to something in your life that needs it -- allowing you to untangle issues over which you feel blocked or confused. It provides a way to be with feelings which well up, without either being driven by them or pushing them away. The essence of the technique is to bring our awareness to bodily-felt responses such as ‘butterflies' or 'a lump in the throat'. It is possible to tune in to such sensations - and many other similar and more subtle ones - and to learn a great deal from them about how we react to what is going on in our lives.

Kay Hoffmann

I think this quote taken from the link dunglen kindly provided sums up how 'focussing' can help anyone (y)

D

Dollit

I had a look at this site and to me it looked like it had culled bits of mindfulness and other stuff and merged them together. It seemed to hint a lot of what it was but not how it was done - personally I'd need to know more before I shelled out for this (or any other therapy).

Aahbut

Aahbut

That description on the site was vaguer than my CBT description. I expect each session costs more for that very reason. Did someone say cynic? :p

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
That description on the site was vaguer than my CBT description. I expect each session costs more for that very reason. Did someone say cynic? :p
It is not 'cynical' to try and 'appreciate' others ideas,it IS 'cynical' to be 'ignorant' of others ideas !

:tea: