• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Focus OCD

O

ocdstruggler47

One obsession I have struggled with for a very very long time (and still do) is focus OCD. All that I have read doesn't really address this. It started by the worry of not being able to focus during collegiate exams. The worry of not being able to focus causes me to not be able to focus and around and around the cycle goes. This has flowed into all aspects of my life now. When I am having a conversation at work, it will pop into my head and I won't be paying attention to what they are saying. Then the worry spirals out of control and I worry that I will lose focus and never ever be able to concentrate on anything again....

M

Mrs. Chomp

I think i know what you mean with the not being able to focus because you are afraid of not being able to foucs. But is it ocd? Im just asking, 'cause i havent heard of this before.

O

ocdstruggler47

I think i know what you mean with the not being able to focus because you are afraid of not being able to foucs. But is it ocd? Im just asking, 'cause i havent heard of this before.
Yes Mrs. Chomp it is absolutely OCD. One might say oh that sounds like a focus problem, maybe ADHD, but there is actually nothing wrong with my focus. Actually, when this thought is absent and does not pop into my head I can actually have great focus for stretches at a time. It is only when I start to obsess about this thought when it becomes a problem.

This is a more abstract obsession more along the lines of Pure O

M

Mrs. Chomp

Well, i can only say what you will hear on this forum a hundred times. Therapy might help. With any ocd. If you are seeing a doctor already I hope he is good! If not, it is really worth a try!

O

ocdstruggler47

Well, i can only say what you will hear on this forum a hundred times. Therapy might help. With any ocd. If you are seeing a doctor already I hope he is good! If not, it is really worth a try!
Yes, I am seeing someone and he is all about CBT and ERP. This has really helped with other forms of OCD, like harm OCD, gay OCD, etc. However, with this more "abstract" purely mental obsessions I don't feel like that is the correct strategy?

M

Mrs. Chomp

Oh ok, I understand. That really sucks. Any meds that could give you peace of mind?

O

ocdstruggler47

Oh ok, I understand. That really sucks. Any meds that could give you peace of mind?
right now I am on Lexapro. I feel it has helped a little...not as much as I would like..

M

Mrs. Chomp

Hopefully the meds will help even more the longer you take them...

M

MrNewOne

Hello Mrs Chomp and ocdstruggler, i am experiencing same focus OCD. I was managing very well last 2 years, but last 2 weeks has been very tough. Max i m able to focus is very very short (minutes) and that is giving me very hard time. I have never seen a doctor, what you suggest?

M

magda_lena

Hello, I can really understand you, because I have exactly the same fear. I don't really know how to deal with it. I had this problem for 4 years and it took about 1 month. Then I had much to do and I have concentrated automatically on these things. I got used to "normal thinking" again and then these thoughts about concentration weren't fearful for me anymore... Till this week. I had a stressful time and I become these thoughts again and I don't even want to try to concentrate on anything, because I think I can't and I try to control my attention, but it is automatic... Like sleeping. You can't control it. I can understand you because you think, it is possible to deal with every problem, every thought when you focus on other things. But you think you can't focus on other things. It's terrible. I don't really know how to deal with it. I enjoy only sleeping.