• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Flying to another country with agoraphobia/anxiety?

courttt18

courttt18

Hiya,

A holiday is booked (it was booked about a year ago) in May to Greece. It’s the first family holiday in years, so I am excited but mostly overwhelmed with dread. I’ve suffered from Agoraphobia & anxiety for 2 years. I literally can’t leave the house or see anyone, I’ve only been seeing my dad every few months for the past year. So I’m extremely nervous to be flying to another country. The flight is 4-6 hours for starters. Everything about that is scary, the car, the airport, and definitely the plane. I’ve been on a few and I know I’m safe but at the same time my anxiety is telling me I’m not, and it’s also telling me it’s not anxiety but it’s my gut feeling instead.

And then there’s actually being there. The last holiday was in Tenerife, where my agoraphobia was starting to get worse but nothing too much. So I have no idea how I’m going to be in somewhere that’s not my home.

My family is so excited about it of course. I haven’t really told them about how I feel at all and I don’t want to. I know my mum would understand as she had the same problem before a holiday in 2016. I should note I’m 18. I’m not quite sure what I expect by posting this? I think I just wanted to get it off my chest. And perhaps see whether anybody has any experiences close to this, help with the thoughts I’m getting about the flight, etc? Anything is greatly appreciated, thank you ◡̈

(This is a repost because this forum seemed more fitting)

I

ifeelpain

Hi!
If you're really scared, you don't have to go, remember that. Little steps. And so, if it's in May, and you feel like it, you could little by little get used to being around people. If it's too scary, it's okey - everyone will understand. What helped me with my anxiety and fear of flying was Xanax, you could ask your doctor about it, if you want to. I slept through all my flight, this was really helpful to me, but it depents on how you feel, if you have enough strenght to do this. Don't force yourself cause of your family, you can be honest with them, they love you anyway.
I hope you will be okey, hugs.

courttt18

courttt18

Hi!
If you're really scared, you don't have to go, remember that. Little steps. And so, if it's in May, and you feel like it, you could little by little get used to being around people. If it's too scary, it's okey - everyone will understand. What helped me with my anxiety and fear of flying was Xanax, you could ask your doctor about it, if you want to. I slept through all my flight, this was really helpful to me, but it depents on how you feel, if you have enough strenght to do this. Don't force yourself cause of your family, you can be honest with them, they love you anyway.
I hope you will be okey, hugs.
It’s definitely a big step. You’re right. I think I will just wait it out and if I truly think it’s not going to happen I’ll speak to my gp about diazepam or something. For now I’ll try to speak to my mum about it. It’ll work out somehow.
I appreciate your reply so much, thank you :)

S

sadgirl

Please see your gp they maybe able to help with medication and treatment with someone who is there to listen to you and your problems

courttt18

courttt18

Please see your gp they maybe able to help with medication and treatment with someone who is there to listen to you and your problems
I may see the gp today and talk about it. Thank you so much for the reply

JustMe1982

JustMe1982

Hiya,

A holiday is booked (it was booked about a year ago) in May to Greece. It’s the first family holiday in years, so I am excited but mostly overwhelmed with dread. I’ve suffered from Agoraphobia & anxiety for 2 years. I literally can’t leave the house or see anyone, I’ve only been seeing my dad every few months for the past year. So I’m extremely nervous to be flying to another country. The flight is 4-6 hours for starters. Everything about that is scary, the car, the airport, and definitely the plane. I’ve been on a few and I know I’m safe but at the same time my anxiety is telling me I’m not, and it’s also telling me it’s not anxiety but it’s my gut feeling instead.

And then there’s actually being there. The last holiday was in Tenerife, where my agoraphobia was starting to get worse but nothing too much. So I have no idea how I’m going to be in somewhere that’s not my home.

My family is so excited about it of course. I haven’t really told them about how I feel at all and I don’t want to. I know my mum would understand as she had the same problem before a holiday in 2016. I should note I’m 18. I’m not quite sure what I expect by posting this? I think I just wanted to get it off my chest. And perhaps see whether anybody has any experiences close to this, help with the thoughts I’m getting about the flight, etc? Anything is greatly appreciated, thank you ◡̈

(This is a repost because this forum seemed more fitting)
Do you see a psychiatrist or regular doctor that can prescribe you anxiety meds for the trip? That is what I did for the 18 hour car ride moving in a u-Haul with my god awful parents and 2 dogs and it helped. Good luck!