• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

fluoxetine.. cant sleep??

P

Pffft

ive been taking 20mg of fluoxetine for about 2 weeks now and before i took it my sleeping pattern was going to bed at 4am and waking up bout 4am... and ever since taking the tablet its got worse!!! I am strugling to sleep before 8am now and my mam will wake me up bout 5 or 6ish.. i cant sleep! Has anyone else had this problem? And also do yu think sleeping tablets would help?

R

Rose19602

I've a few comments but no experience of fluoxetine....
1) Two weeks is quite a short time - maybe give it a month and see what happens
2) If I read correctly, you weren't sleeping well before you took the fluoxetine either. Are you asking the drug to correct a problem it is not designed for perhaps?
3) Some ADs do cause sleep problems. I've been on Citalopram and my sleep worsened whilst on it, and I am sleeping better now I have stopped taking it.
4) If it's a long term issue, sleeping tablets may not be the answer. Could you seek some advice on sleep from your doctor and work on establishing a better routine at bedtime perhaps?
I hope you get a reply from someone who knows this drug too.
x

S

skyblue

ive been taking 20mg of fluoxetine for about 2 weeks now and before i took it my sleeping pattern was going to bed at 4am and waking up bout 4am... and ever since taking the tablet its got worse!!! I am strugling to sleep before 8am now and my mam will wake me up bout 5 or 6ish.. i cant sleep! Has anyone else had this problem? And also do yu think sleeping tablets would help?
Hi,

I'm a bit confused by your post. Do you mean you were going to bed at 4am & waking up about 4pm in the afternoon previous to the meds and now you're unable to sleep until 8am and sleep throughout the entire day until 5 or 6pm?

When do you take Fluoxetine? It's best taken in the morning time when you wake before the start of your day. Taken at night can cause sleep problems, I know that much.

HTH.

P

Pffft

thanks to the both of you for replying .. sorry for taking a while to get back to you and yes sky blue ...before starting fluoxetine it was 4am till 4pm and now its 8am till 6pm before i started taking anti depresants the latest i would go to bed was about 1.30am and would never sleep in longer than 1pm ... but when i took my first AD which was citalopram and like you miss kitty...it knocked my sleeping pattern and i was sleeping later and getting up later and was on mirtazapine and sertraline .. and now fluoxetine... i always feel tired ... infact sometimes before i go to bed i feel like i have so much energy that i could jog... but yet im always shattered! i was meant to go food shopping with my mam and ended up not going cause i wasnt up

x

T

Timo27

before starting Fluoxetine I wasn't the most natural sleeper, but after I started taking it I found not only did sleeping become harder but the actual desire to sleep seemed to fade... the same with eating... I could eat but I had no desire to at all.... yet in the daytime I'm so restless, my leg vibrates against anything it's leaning on! at the moment I'm waiting for my job/education to re-boot, so it's not a big deal, but I imagine if I had a busy schedule it would be disruptive, tell your doctor.

baby2011

baby2011

before starting Fluoxetine I wasn't the most natural sleeper, but after I started taking it I found not only did sleeping become harder but the actual desire to sleep seemed to fade... the same with eating... I could eat but I had no desire to at all.... yet in the daytime I'm so restless, my leg vibrates against anything it's leaning on! at the moment I'm waiting for my job/education to re-boot, so it's not a big deal, but I imagine if I had a busy schedule it would be disruptive, tell your doctor.
I suggest you see your Doctor/G.P.again , as when I was prescribed
Sleeping pattern was one of the first questioned asked! Prozac can be an appetite suppressant- apparently!

T

Timo27

Thanks Baby! (not sure if that is wildly inappropriate or correct) I'm actually waiting to see my GP but since it's just after Christmas the first appointment is 10 days away... I'll last till then but i'll survive... in the long run I'd love to eat and sleep like a regular guy! :) by the way, on an unrelated note... I have two awful cousins with rabbits who ought not to have them! carry on fighting for rabbit rights!

baby2011

baby2011

:) I think you need to change GP - kinda miffed that you tagged along your cousin is a rabbit owner who is a @Hit!

F

Frustrated

Prozac made it difficult for me to sleep - though to be honest I'm not 100% convinced it helped anyway. Research has shown that real results are only noticeable in the more severe cases and even then when combined with talking therapies. But then most of these research things seem to be very biased whether they're for or against.

Anti depressants don't work quickly - give it time and a real chance to kick in. There are other drugs but you're restarting from scratch if you change so I'd stick with it for now and see if you can see some improvement.

P

Pffft

i wrote this about 3 months ago and since then i feel it has eased my depression.. i suppose i feel in a state where i can only take so much and anything else just goes over my head... unless it is high emotion such as an arguement! however it is true that the thought of sleeping is off putting i hate going to sleep because it is such a battle... once im asleep im fine but getting to sleep is so hard

today im having an off day :( .. only came downstairs about an hour ago and was feeling terrible and then my dad had a go at me because "i chucked the paper on the floor" ... it was on the seat and i chucked it on the floor cause i couldnt put it anywhere else .. he then proceeds with "you are wasting your life you should be awake bla bla bla" .. its like so basically you picked a fault with me so you can have a go at me... you know what dad FUCK YOU! I FUCKING HATE YOU!