• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Fluoxetine anybody?

S

ScrewLoose

Is anybody here taking Fluoxetine?
I want to know the side effects and whether it's had a positive effect for you?
I've always been anti-pills because of the stigma attached to them as well as a fear of side-effects.. but I feel I have little else for choice and the doctors are strongly suggesting I take them. :/

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i was on fluoxetine. it worked quite good for me for depression. i didn't get any noticeable side effects.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Also have previously been on fluoxetine.
My issue with it was that it made me go a bit too high, and I was finding myself being very uninhibited and having bags of energy at inappropriate times (4am).
That doesn't happen to everybody though.
I would give it a go, and if the meds don't help, you don't have to stay on them. Hope that you feel better soon anyway.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

I found Fluoxetine to be very helpful for a few years. Was really hard to sleep when I first started taking it but that settled down after a bit. That was the only side effect I had

D

Dottyone

I use 20mg a day but never notice anything different and suffered no side effects that I know of yet.

Best of luck with it anyhow. X

S

ScrewLoose

Also have previously been on fluoxetine.
My issue with it was that it made me go a bit too high, and I was finding myself being very uninhibited and having bags of energy at inappropriate times (4am).
That doesn't happen to everybody though.
I would give it a go, and if the meds don't help, you don't have to stay on them. Hope that you feel better soon anyway.
Oh gosh.. I already have the highs at inappropriate times.. Not nice at all especially when I'm alone.
But I'd rather the highs over the lows any day.

Thank you. :)

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Im on 60mg the highest dose and have no side effects it works well for my depression and also my bulimia too xxx

Passionflower

Passionflower

When I took fluoxetine it made me high even though I am not bipolar.

V

voyager

When I took fluoxetine it made me high even though I am not bipolar.
I felt kind of hypomanic or even hypermanic on this at one time. It made me behave in ways that I'd never behaved previously. I'm on another type of antidepressant now, which suits me better.