• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Fluoxetine and Pure O

J

JSD

I have had pure o ocd for forty five years, and just had medication changed from sertraline to fluoxetine as that did not do any good.

I have been on Fluoxetine 20mg for one month, 40mg for one month increased to 60mg a month ago, I dont know if its taking a long time to work but I am feeling extremely anxious , pure O and mental compulsions have kicked in big time Can someone throw some light on how long this med usually takes to work after increasing as I dont want to just stop taking it if I need to be on this full dose longer thank you

S

StillDepressed

Fluoxetine can take up to 6 weeks to kick in and unfortunately anxiety can be a side effect, so if you see no improvement with in 6 weeks of moving to 60mg - speak to your Doctor and suggest to them you feel like you need to change meds

S

Started 1976

Hi JSD,
I to have suffered with severe ocd for about 45 years!
I didn't see a phychiatrist to seriously get help until 8 years in.After Extensive treatment i started to Improve.After stopping seeing my phychiatrist for a Few years i was struggling due to Stress that made my OCD worse.The same Phychitrist put me on Fluoxetine He said it would take 2 weeks to work after 3 or 4 weeks it wasn't working but i was determined to give it as long as possible. Suddenly one day after about 6 weeks i realised i felt different; Calmer more Relaxed! It Felt like i had dropped down a couple of Rungs of the Stress Ladder.I was on 60 mgs too. I STILL AM. i would not be without it!! I would persist with it .I hope that helps. keep in touich and good luck.

J

JSD

Hi JSD,
I to have suffered with severe ocd for about 45 years!
I didn't see a phychiatrist to seriously get help until 8 years in.After Extensive treatment i started to Improve.After stopping seeing my phychiatrist for a Few years i was struggling due to Stress that made my OCD worse.The same Phychitrist put me on Fluoxetine He said it would take 2 weeks to work after 3 or 4 weeks it wasn't working but i was determined to give it as long as possible. Suddenly one day after about 6 weeks i realised i felt different; Calmer more Relaxed! It Felt like i had dropped down a couple of Rungs of the Stress Ladder.I was on 60 mgs too. I STILL AM. i would not be without it!! I would persist with it .I hope that helps. keep in touich and good luck.
Thank you for that , I will stick with it as you have given me hope it will help .