• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fluoxetine & Alcohol

LB05

LB05

I am just wondering if anyone that is on fluoxetine has had an bad symptoms whilst drinking. i ask as i haven't drank before on them and haven't been on them that long.

Would i be ok to have any drink with as i've got a night out with some old friends i haven't seen in a while and i just wanna have fun.

x

S

Soren

hi,

i've found that drinking whilst on ssri's really exaggerates drunkenness. i used to completely lose all inhibitions, to the point of being really cocky, obnoxious, and even aggressive on one or two occasions. completely reckless.

because i've never experienced any of those feelings before (i've always been quiet, withdrawn and unassuming), i didn't know how to cope or adjust my behaviour. the effect was really quite severe and contributed to my losing some of my oldest friends. honestly.

i think if you're only on 20mg and you just have a moderate amount of say, ordinary beer, you should be ok. and i suppose everyone is different.

of course, the most important thing is safety - like you say, keep trusted friends with you, at least til you know how you're affected.

take care :)