Floaters and OCD

N

NrLondonGuy

Does anyone with OCD get floaters (When you see a blotch in your vision, can be round or hairline like - caused by retina or something). These drive me absolutley nuts. Everytime I get one I think there;s a mark on the wall or on floor and have to rub wall/floor to make sure nothing is there (even thoguh can't see it anymore) and even though part of my mind knows its a floater. I also get silly obsessional thoughts thinking negative thoughts are attached to the floaters and causing them(??!!) and checking there is nothing there neatralises the thoughts. They really drive me nuts. I know I just have to sya "its a frigging floater - just a pyscical vision thing" and ignore but find that very hard.

I saw a dr years ago who said it was floaters and once read some guy with anxiety had tehm and it drove him nuts too. Just wondered if any other OCD sufferes get them and how you deal with them.

iffybob

iffybob

Every one gets them ... its not a MH ( mental health) thing.. and yep they can be annoyoing ... and you doc is right ther is nothing that can be done .. it is just the human condition ...

.. learn to live with them .. dismiss them as harmless .. and get on with somthing to distract you ... :)

Take care ... boB ... :)

S

Sarey

I have floaters.
I have other vision problems too.

But, this is not a MH thing, as said above.

C

Contramike

Floaters are very common, but I get the feeling that you're more concerned with the OCD aspect of the issue.

What you might try is some self-conducted Expose and Response Prevention (ERP). It's a technique behavioral therapists use a lot and it works well if done right.

Here's a link on how it's done, but I'll give you an idea on what to focus on.

http://web4health.info/en/answers/psy-ocd-erp.htm

Here we go:

1. Find a floater and look at it. Refrain from touching it, moving, or anything. Just stay there. Don't do anything about it. Let it be there.

-This will cause great anxiety the first few times, but it gets better very quickly.

2. Repeat Step 1 as many times as you can. If you are able to do this enough times (preferably "in a row"), you will notice a -Huge- drop in anxiety when you see the floaters and don't do anything about them.

3. After repeating this, and as you're anxiety level drops whenever you see a floater and don't react - just notice the floater without doing anything about it.

It will get easier and easier, until the urge doesn't affect you anymore. You will be able to see a floater and not even think about it. You will have no reaction after using this method consistently.

Give it a shot!

Let us know how it goes!

N

NrLondonGuy

Thanks - I do know all that already as in each time I have a floater the 'normal' part of my mind knows it just a floater its just the uncertainty part plays havoc on me.

T

Twylight

I think I read somewhere that floaters were parts of protein in the blood passing throught the eye.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Just a thougtht. Do you suffer from migraine,cos this is one of the symptoms.

N

NrLondonGuy

no migrains just lots of blotches and stuff in my visions. Its obvioulsy a pyhsical thing but just it drives my OCD mad at times. I see black marks on things, hairlines, sometimes white bloches specs. With floaters they 'look' real like a mark on something or like something is there but OCD free peple just ignore them.

iffybob

iffybob

They make none OCD peps look twice or so as well ... it is learning to dosmiss them as a curiosity.... practice ...

J

jekel1

yes i get white lines every where and i try to ignore them but its damd hard i see black lines which i try to move but i know its not real