• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Flashbacks

L

Lyra

Founding Member
How do you experience flash backs?

I actually feel as though I am there again and it is happening again. I am reliving the event.

My friend told me this is not a flash back - a flash back is like seeing a video of the event - you see it happening as though you are watching it on TV.

So what is happening to me then. :(

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hello Lyra,

I experience them exactly like you do and because of that they are very frightening and lead to more trauma. They make me feel physically sick, I don;t know how to handle them either. I am just going to start working on coping strategies this week with my psychologist.

Here's a big hug:hug: it really is horrible.

KSx

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi Lyra.
Your friend is describing dissociation. What you describe is indeed a flashback.
I have both. You're not alone.
Take care. :hug:

nopurchases

nopurchases

I relive the event in a variety of ways, the way you described, dissociation and most often through nightmares.

When you relive it do you carry out tasks and act as though it's happening? Does this ever get you in trouble?

I only ask because I sometimes hurt others but, they are just in my way and I am trying to help and other time I SI, I don't realize I am even doing it until I am back in the present moment. I think my body does it to bring my mind back. Both of these instances have lead to me having to be hospitalized. I just wonder how other avoid this.

L

Lyra

Founding Member
I don't think I do anything except look blank when I have a flash back.