• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Flashbacks, does it mean they happened?

N

Nina24

Does anyone understand or am I completely alone? I've never liked going to the dentist but have always had a problem with oral hygiene; the feeling of fullness in my mouth, it's not even going near the gag reflex. I was already anxious, trying to listen to dentist today when an image of (object) being shoved in my mouth as a child, popped into my head. I was overwhelmed, panicked and needed to leave immediately.
I can't remember this actually happening, so is my mind playing tricks or are more things coming through? (I remembered something about an 'uncle' a couple of weeks back which was distressing enough, that was touching, does it mean he or another did more? When will it all come out? I don't know if I can handle much more.)

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hi Nina,

I'm sorry you had that experience at the dentist.

I don't know the answer to your question but i do know that any mental health problems need plenty or rest, avoiding stress, trying to do nice things that will bring confidence and happiness and relaxation. I feel like these are the ways for us to get better slowly and strongly.

Some people need to talk to a counsellor or psychologist in addition to that, so it is something you could think about and see your GP if that would help. The waiting list might be quite long.

Be very kind to yourself

N

Nina24

Thanks Tawny,
I am seeing a counsellor already and on tablets for anxiety and depression.
Whilst in therapy I had my 1st image come up a few weeks back and had to stop the session, I told her about it the next week and said it was more likely a generic ****. But yesterday, it was so real, I was 6 or 7 yrs.
I've had other flashbacks of intimate touching when I was a child, when I described the surroundings to my sister (we were fostered and went to a kids home together) she remembered the place and told me where we were. So that, I know is real.
It's just difficult getting my head around.
I do thank my head for blocking out the trauma, I had enough to deal with already.

S

Sugaree

Nina,there are some things that I blocked out and some I remember. I wish I never had flashbacks or nightmares, but those memories came back and now I wish I could forget.

N

Nina24

Sugaree, I think I understand. When I started therapy, I discussed what I knew happened but said I always felt there was more, as I had knowledge of sexual things from a very early age.
Now it's sickening, that someone could do that to a child and recognising that child was me.
It's been difficult enough coping with assault and rape as a teen, now this has been opened up.

S

Sugaree

Therapy was hard for me too. Like you, I had knowledge of sexual things at an early age. As a mother of two girls I am so disgusted and ashamed of my childhood. I got very depressed when my oldest daughter hit her teens. That is when I started therapy. I went for 6 years. It helps to talk to someone.My therapist told me that I needed to try to love little girl that was me and reassure her that I will take care of her. That helped.:hug: