• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Flashbacks and uneasy feelings after hospital operation

M

Mali38

Hi, not sure if I have a problem but since having had major surgery and 5 day stay in hospital I often replay moments of it all in my head and it makes me feel scared thinking about what happened and that I never want it to happen again. I was scared stiff and had white coat syndrome to start with and never ever thought I would have to go to hospital, then aged 49 I had no choice. All went well, I had full hysterectomy and removal of massive tumour which turned out to be non cancerous thankfully. I have had no real pain and it was not a bad experience in hospital but one that I don't ever want to go through again. I can remember everything from getting up morning of operation through to when I fell asleep and then all from when I woke up after op. It makes me shiver at the thought of what happened. I have a long scar low as possible up past my belly button. I imagine myself laying on operating table and how it would of looked etc etc and it horrified me. I tell myself to shut up stop thinking of it. I am fine, it's all over and now I can carry on. Sometimes my scar freaks me out. If I think too much about it all it freaks me out. My bf tries to help by telling me it's all over and I am fine. He is fine with my scar. It was in October when had op. I was offered post op therapy by macmillan as they had treated diagnosis as probably cancerous, even though it turned out as not, but they still offered help. I panicked when they rang and offered help, I said but I didn't have cancer, I'm fine, I have my family to help. My first thought was oh god I got it wrong, I have got cancer and they offering help. I panicked. When I am not thinking about what I went through, everything is fine, I am happy, love my house and garden, loving bf and two cats, great family...... But then I go cold and scared when I think about hospital and my op.
Do I have a problem or will I eventually let it go and not worry anymore??

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH3

:welcome: to the forum. How are you now? :hug: