• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Fitness and excercise

C

Confussedm

Hi all, im new on here, little bit about me, ive always been a pretty nervous person but never suffered from anxiety or panic attacks, however about 9 months ago i thought i was having a heart attack, i was just sitting down relaxing when all of a sudden i had intense pins and needles in my left arm and then it went numb, all of a sudden my heart was pounding out of my chest, at this point i was scared to death, telling my girlfriend to ring a abulance, i felt like i was going to pass out, i stripped off to my underwear and went out side to cool off, anyway the ambulance came took me to my local hospital where they gave me a blood test and x-ray of my heart and said it was all ok, after i came back from the hospital i felt like my head was detached from my body, i had major brain fog, felt like i could of done anything and i wouldn't of new i had done it, i really thought i was going to end up in a mental hospital, i needed 2 months off work to recover, everyday i felt like i was going to die it was terrifying, every time i felt like another attack was going to happen i would get a feeling of electricity running through my feet and hands, since then ive been back to hospital 2 more times with less extreme attacks but still scary, the hospital decided to run some more tests like a 47 hours blood pressure monitor which was fine and a 72 ESG which im still awaiting the test results, what i would like to know has anybody used exercise to get over panic disorder, i really feel.it may help me, but scared to do excerise at the min till i get my results back, also ly chest on my left side hurts on my left side alot of the day, but find free diving techniques help relieve it, does anybody else have this pain?

N

natalie

I am very involved with fitness, and exercise. I think you have made a wise decision, there, to hang on until you have received the results. Once they establish, and to rule something out, and under medical supervision, please, thenn you might be able to replan fitness. So I would very much wait until the results come back.

Good luck.

hicks

hicks

Exercise can have a huge positive effect on mental health as well as fitness. In the past it's certainly had a calming effect on me when I got anxious.
So I would encourage you to do some form of regular exercise, but I agree that you should wait until the medical tests come back to make sure you don't have some kind of underlying physical problem.
How old are you btw?

C

Confussedm

Thanks both, yeah im defo going to wait for my results, just so frustrated how long it takes for somebody to look at my results, ive got to wait 6 weeks, but i do understand the NHS are under pressure, in the past when ever ive felt low i've always turned to training, being weights or fitness, my job involves light fitness and instructing on fitness, but i feel best when ive had a good work out, its been 9 months since i've hit the gym and its taking it toll, also doesnt help COIVD being around which i gwt worried about. Im 36, pretty heavy at the min at 19 stone, where when i was lifting at my best i was 21 stone, which i know is a heart attack waiting to happen, my aim is to get to 16 stone when or if im given the all clear