• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Fit for work?

E

Emmer

Hello,
I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 last year and am off work. I know nobody with mental disorders in my life so have come here.

I was given esa and pip for one year and this will soon expire. I have my pip form here.

I am wondering who with bipolar 2 can work. I feel I cannot cope with stress at all at the moment. Even though I am not severely depressed, I am not well enough to cope with work. My form states I would be at risk of deterioration if I lose my esa and pip.

Am I being weak? I can't change that fact but what do you think?

I'm so stressed about this form that I have barely slept or eaten the past couple of days. That shows I'm not fit for work! I wonder if I was left alone without stress would I be able to get back to work.

E

Emmer

Thanks Marilee no I was recently discharged but advised to not return to work unless very well as stress is a trigger. I have a sympathetic gp. I am going for the 'risk of harm to self' clause but don't know how that will be received.

Has anyone been through that? Bipolar or not.

katya

katya

Hey. Hope you can get the benefits you need. You're not being weak; it's not your fault you can't work at the moment. Just focus on you and don't let anyone put you under unnecessary stress. Glad your GP is sympathetic.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Emmer

Welcome to the forum. All this stuff with ESA and PIP is so stressful, isn't it? It is worth getting help with the forms if possible, as MarlieeBee says.

It is good you have a sympathetic GP, perhaps he will provide a good letter you can use as evidence, plus any reports you already have from mental health services. You have to really make the difficulties clear on the form. Try not to stress about it. The first time I applied for ESA I was in an awful state, so I do sympathise.

I hope you enjoy the forum and find it helpful.

Sarah

FriendsAreFriends

FriendsAreFriends

Hi!:welcome:

I am bipolar 1. I can really relate to the stress factor.:)

Given the severness of my basic illness we have a health care system here in Norway that allows me to retire 100%

Yet I have found my nishe trying to cheer up people on this sight and I will also study chess, in an attempt to make money playing and teaching chess online.

I think if you have something you burn for, or a hobby you enjoy very much - you should give it a go...

I know of at least 1 person I have met who got Bipolar 2 and now work full time as a mental healthworker, with the stress that goes with working in a fysical place (traveling back and forth and so on) So it is possible.

I really think you should take sireasly what YOU want to do. You know yourself best and with a mental illness you should in all situations consider what is best for yourself - not whats best for society. If there is something you really eager to do - I think the energy will come.

Any given situation has its possibillities.

:welcome:

Kenneth.

B

blueorange

Hello,

I have bipolar II with rapid cycling and mixed episodes. I'm working for 8 years, after the university. My work is very stressful. Last year I had a major depressive episode and stopped going to work suddenly. I couldn't go to work for 1 month. Besides that I could manage it but of course I would prefer a life without that much stress. Sometimes I think about this, what would happen if I had a job without stress or no job at all. I don't know the answer. Working is good for my illness in one hand and bad on the other hand. But I think in overall it is good. Making me busy.

Sometimes I can't work for 1-2 weeks but going to work anyway. Just can't concentrate because of a depressive episode. Then after we got it under control with my pdoc I work faster then my normal speed. So this is my routine. In the end I complete all the work. Of course it's not easy always. Especially if I'm having mixed episodes. But I have not much option here.

E

Emmer

I think it's the stress factor for me. Maybe it is fear too.

E

Emmer

I started looking for jobs yesterday. Today i started to apply, and then i realised that if i go back into the working world, i might get really ill again. I'm broken inside from what has happened to me. I feel weak, unable to cope much of the time. My sick pay ran out and i ended up on ESA. I think i am going to have ESA stress for a few years to come but the alternative is not an option because there is a risk i will become very ill. I already feel very ill. I'm so tired mentally and physically. It is sad that i might spend the rest of my life being assessed every 6 months. The ESA person i saw last time said that bipolar is fixed with medication quickly. Maybe that is true, yes i am stable, but what is stable? Stable is out of hospital. That is all stable means. I'm a few steps away from it all the time.

P

Plumage

Under the new Care Act, everyone in receipt of social care has the right to an independent advocate. The business of advocacy is going to explode as a result so research for an independent mental health advocate in your area, alternatively call an established one and ask for advice.

A good advocate is worth their weight in gold... X

E

Emmer

Where do you find an advocate?

P

Plumage

Your local authority should be able to tell you who is operating in your area as it is them who fund them or Google Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA)

E

Emmer

I've decided f#$k them. I refuse to go back to work until ready. My doctor said majority are unable to return to work. I might be one of them. I'm going to ignore them as much as possible and stop googling and reading scare stories. I won't watch the news either. People like me need to do this I believe otherwise my life will be of poor quality.

katya

katya

I've decided f#$k them. I refuse to go back to work until ready. My doctor said majority are unable to return to work. I might be one of them. I'm going to ignore them as much as possible and stop googling and reading scare stories. I won't watch the news either. People like me need to do this I believe otherwise my life will be of poor quality.
Exactly. You need to do what's right for you. Don't waste time on anything that will make you feel guilty for putting yourself first. Anyone worth a damn will agree with what you're doing.

So glad you're thinking like this.

:hug:

E

Emmer

Jruth thank you, I have to give myself a bit of telling off each morning as I wake shaking with fear. I'm sure eventually this self-talk will not be necessary.