• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

First time poster/Long time reader

S

Scotty2toes

End of March 2010: First full blown 8 hour panic attack. Hungover from beer and cocaine. I took every morning Monster energy drinks out of the equation, and this is when it started. The longest 8 hours of my life.

May 2010: 5 straight day panic attack from all night drinking, and cocaine. Took valium for 5 days for it to subside. So I deal with the panic for 6 months, taking valium, changing my diet which would work for 2-3 weeks at a time, then change diet again etc etc, and then gave in, and started taking citalopram. I was diagnosed with GAD and IBS. Was on 20 mg for 2 years, and took valium as needed, I felt like a zombie, and had a crazy physical job, and kept gaining weight, so I decided to taper off, and I took 3 months to do it. Everything was fine, till about December 2013, and then it all came back. When I say take valium as needed, I mean go through one 30 pill scrip in that 2 year span. So around April, I figured let's try going gluten-free, after 4 years of Ibs it was gone in 3 weeks, and panic subsided better than when I was on citalopram, and I also lost 25 pounds. I was so pumped that it felt like I finally figured it out. I was placed in a stressful environment again, and still gluten-free, but panic came back October 27th like in May 2010. Like I burp, feel a bit in my throat which my brain tells me YOU'RE GOING TO DIE RIGHT NOW at the drop of a hat. I haven't touched cocaine and vodka since May 2010, I've gotten drunk maybe twice in the past month, I even started cardio, but can't shake it. I am a smoker also, but have cut that down to maybe a pack compared to almost 2 packs a day. I've had every blood test, but celiac, EKG , CT scans, everything but a colonoscopy. I'm not perfectly healthy because nobody is, but I have no ailments or physical diseases. I've been prescribed Xanax instead of valium now, but I still get the obsessive thoughts all day, plus real bad spells of derealization. My doc told me today he wants to put me on setraline, but I'm a little hesitant for a long term med regiment again.
I've also started seeing a therapist, but he is booked because of the holidays so I can see him only like once a month, and I also started Bible study, and my quest for God because I truly am lost. I just feel like I'm at the end of my rope, and this 5 year panic roller coaster is getting old. I know the difference between anxiety and panic, and it usually skips the anxiety stage and straight to panic mode. Does anybody have any good advice about pushing out the bad thoughts, and does anyone know about setraline, and should I go on an everyday med again?

Thanks for reading/listening,

Scotty

Last edited by a moderator:
*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey scotty2toes, lovely to have you here and welcome to the forum. I can relate to a lot that you have mentioned.
Personally for me I have stopped drugs and alcohol and attending 12 step meetings. am on prescribed medication, sertraline, 50mg, which i am taking regularly. I have been told that it is quite mild in its effects. It's always good to connect and keep contact so a regular visit with your GP would help. And getting support from people on the forum.

D

djooj

:welcome:
Sorry it's all back with avengence.
Im on sertraline100mg an find it no so good but we're all different, autumnal sprinkles gives good advice.
Hope more folk be along soon.