• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

First time I've looked at my mania

K

Karl

56 and diagnosed with bipolar 12 years ago. Never been to the doctors when I was manic (why would you lol) councillors, setraline, because of the cesspit I go to. But the mania is off the scale. Delusions of grandeur, invincibility. sexual preditor, inflated ego, no conscience, no thought for concequences, no concern for personal saftey. I need to talk to someone who understands

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hello Karl,

:welcome:

Many members have bipolar disorder so they will be able to understand how you feel and what you are going through i am sure.

Have you seen a psychiatrist in the 12 years?

K

Karl

Hi Tawny
Thanks for your reply. I was prescribed sertraline which does help with my lows but it doesn't medicate my mania. I have recently become aware how dangerous my mania is. I have now asked to see a psychiatrist for a proper diagnosis of my condition so hopefully I can moderate with meds or whatever going forward.

Regards
Karl

HLon99

HLon99

Dear Karl,

Getting the right diagnosis is essential to your wellbeing. Depression in my experience is very different from Bipolar. Initially, I was also diagnosed with depression and given counselling and antidepressants. The counselling didn't help one bit and the antidepressants made be manic.

I was lucky enough to be sent to a very experienced psychiatrist, who prescribed a mood stabiliser and an atypical antipsychotic and I have never felt more stable in my life. It can take several attempts to find the correct medication regiment so better start sooner rather than later.
Mania is dangerous and although it might feel good at the time it can often wreak havoc on your personal life. Just look at people such as Kanye West. I myself had to drop out of university due to my mania and although I'm doing a lot better now I know what kind of an effort I will have to put in order to fix my life in the aftermath. Prevention is always the best kind of medicine.

I wish you all the best of luck with your upcoming appointment and hope that you get back on you feet soon.

-H

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi Karl, I too have been diagnosed with bipolar, about ten years ago. I have severe manias and depressions and am on disability for
it here in the US. My manias are comprised by all the things you mention and then some. Intry to start numerous businesses. I call all kinds of existing businesses or visit them in person to share my ideas on how to manage theirs. I call up
all kinds of political officials and give them feedback in state issues. I joined a swingers site and met with all kinds of strangers for one night stands. I thought I was a power player in politics and the music industry based on having once met a few influential people, I
was going to travel to NYC to pursue a modelling
career, etc... None of this seemed abnormal
at the time. It just seemed like I was living an active life for a change. I filled up a whole storage unit with acquisitions that I was going to give to the poor. It was a lot and this was just my most recent mania that took place in 2018/2019. Most of my manias last about a year and feature a lot of psychosis. At the time it makes sense and I feel in control of everything but in hindsight it is very scary because I see how bizarre my behavior and choices were and how in some ways I was completely out of control. xo, j