• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

First time getting help

V

Venne

Hey guys,

I'm new here. I just wanted to ask you about how you manage or managed to get help with your depression.

I realized I have depression a couple of months ago (well, I'm still not entirely sure, because I'm not a doctor and it's all based on my research online), and it's something I'm going through for the past 3-4 years, I'm 20 btw. I finally took the courage to see a GP, it was my first time ever visiting a GP in the UK, because I moved here about half a year ago. To be honest, I wasn't very satisfied. Hell, I even felt a lot worse after the visit.. I guess I brought it all on myself, probably expected too much, like getting immediate help, or like a cure potion lol. Yet I felt that I wasn't really taken seriously enough. Basically, the advice was getting enough exercise every day and eating properly, which I have problems with. I was also advised to contact some local mental health agencies or the uni that I'm in. Also, I was told to look at some websites.

I mean, I knew that stuff already, but.. It's not that I can actually make myself do it. I feel like I need help asap, but the next visit is only in 3 weeks. I mean, do I have to SH to be taken seriously with depression :D?

I don't feel like I can do all this stuff on my own, and I can barely cope with assessments and stress at University. Basically, what I wanted to ask you guys is, how did you get help? What was the process? Is a GP enough? Or did you get a psychotherapist, join groups, forums etc? It's all just a bit overwhelming for me I guess, there are so many resources available and so many different routes to choose from, so I feel a bit paralyzed..

Sorry for the long post! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Crazykool2020

Hello

I'm knew to this forum too but please don't SH!! Get a second opinion. That's rich coming from me but it is! Ask ure gp to get referred to get CbT training, cognitive behaviour therapy and this is suppose to retrain your brain and get rid of negative thoughts. Do you have someone you can speak to like family etc,? They might never understand as that's the prob I have had but just to speak to someone can help! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayfair

Mayfair

:welcome: to the forums Venne, (and kool :))

I don't think there is an easy answer, otherwise this forum wouldn't exist!

There certainly isn't any quick answers and treatment from GPs.

I know that exercise can be off putting, but being in Uni, are there any sports/groups that they run? There is generally loads of that kind of thing at uni, you could make it feel less like exercise if it is a group thing.

If you look around here and chat with people, we all discuss our own methods of coping and dealing.

Have a nosy around :)

M

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I'm sorry the GP wasn't very helpful. To be honest, that was how I got help and my referral to the mental health team.
If you can stand it, I would suggest going to see a different GP and seeing if you can get any more help.

My other suggestions would be to see if your Uni offers any counselling services.
Depending on your financial situation (which, if you're a student, i'm guessing money is a bit tight) you can always seek private counselling. But as I said, it may be that your university offers support to students.

Other bits of advice - self-help books, walks in nature, herbal teas (chamomile), meditation/mindfulness, nurturing food, creative journalling, seeing if Mind or Rethink have services you can access etc.

I hope you find something that helps you feel a bit better soon.

V

Venne

Thank you for the warm welcome guys, I really appreciate it!

Crazykool2020, thanks for the advice. I don't really think about SH, just got a bit frustrated that day because I felt that I wasn't taken seriously. I want to try various types of treatment, but my mind is already thinking that they're not gonna work and that it's probably going to be just a waste of my and other people's time. Did something in particular help you?

Mayfair, I guess I don't like to take any part in Uni social / activity life. Just feel really unimportant being around people there. I would like to find some groups in local communities though..

SomersetScorpio, I guess I'll give the GP another try, probably was being too harsh before. I already contacted people from Uni about counselling, really looking forward to give it a go :) Although probable best not to get too excited though..

Thank you all for the invaluable advice!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Depression Forum 6
TipToeThruTheTulips Depression Forum 3
S Depression Forum 8
J Depression Forum 7
S Depression Forum 1