• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

First therapy appointment today...keep it?

P

photogirl

Founding Member
I have my first appointment with a psychiatrist today and I'm debating on cancelling it. I scheduled it over a month ago when I was depressed over ending an affair but I'm not as depressed over it anymore, more embarrassed than anything. I know I have self-esteem issues that go waaaaay back and a childhood that could probably get me on Oprah but I can't imagine telling all of this to a stranger. For anyone else who has been to see a psychiatrist/psychologist/etc..., any ideas what I should expect from my first visit? Any advice? Thanks for reading!

D

Dollit

All that happens on your first visit is that a comprehensive history is discussed of any times of ill health, both mental and physical, in your life. Family realtionships, whether you're working or not. It just builds a picture of who you are. If you go and do this you will have nothing to lose. The psychiatrist may agree with you that you don't need further visits and discharge you or they may feel you could benefit and keep you on the books for a while. It's not a pleasant experience for some but it is worth doing just for the peace of mind.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
:) probably too late now but I would say definitely keep it. Psychiatrist appointments are generally pretty hard to get hold of and it is highly unlikely that you will be assigned appointments unless they feel your really need them (the problems tend to be the other way - discharging people who need and want treatment :rolleyes:).

Either way let us know how it goes.

Nick.

P

photogirl

Founding Member
Thank you for the feedback, I did end up going. Apparently I'm nuts enough that they want to keep seeing me because I have a second appointment scheduled for next week and they want to start me on meds. I'm not sure if I want to keep going through, it just seems to depress me more. I didn't even bring up the affair, which is the primary reason I looked into counseling in the first place, but compared to a lot of other things, it almost seemed insignificant. I know it's not and I'll bring it up if I keep the other appointment. The person I met with said I'm most likely suffering PTSD from events in my childhood, my youngest sister being a trigger since she's now the same age I was when the "events" happened to me. I don't see how dredging any of that up would help but I don't kow what I'm really expecting out of all this anyway. I knew one visit wouldn't automatically make me feel better. Shrug....

D

Dollit

It's normal to feel a little low after an appointment - they take up more energy than you would think. If you consider that what happened in the past shapes the people we are today and in the future then that's surely a good enough reason to talk about it? I know that I'm a lot more settled in myself and a lot more reconciled to my past than I ever was before I talked about it with my consultant and my GP. :)