• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

First psychiatrist visit

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Well, I've not been doing so well recently - have only been on fluoxetine for 5 weeks and really felt I was getting worse not better. Unfortunately I bottled saying exactly how bad things were getting when I saw my GP last week and was very angry with myself for wasting the opportunity. This week has not been any better and I have still been self-harming, so I decided last night that I would go back today. Couldn't sleep so got up in the middle of the night and wrote some stuff to take in. Unfortunately I couldn't see my own GP - it was a GP reg, and I did get very annoyed with her as I had to go through everything again (not her fault I know) but she read what I had written and then sent me down to the hospital where I saw the psychiatrist. My OH had taken me to the doctor so I figured I had to also tell him about the self-harm; he was understandably shocked but has been great.

The psychiatrist was good too - much less scary than I had thought. I will see them again in a few weeks and will also get referred for various other things. Dosage of fluoxetine has also been upped. So hopefully this will start to make a difference to me.

I found the whole experience draining but I am glad I decided to go as I knew really that I needed more help than I was getting.

Thanks for all the support I have found on these boards so far as well.

Rx

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Congratulations rollinat - going and getting help can be really difficult and even though I know some of us here bang on about it all the time (well I do anyway :)) and it is the right thing to do, that doesn't make it easy when you are ill. I am highly resistant to doing it myself so I know ;). You have done the right right thing and I am really glad that you got some help.

:clap:.

Nick.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
honesty

Being honest and open when trying to reach out for help- is hard work, and tiering.
Well done for telling the people what you know they needed to hear about.
And being stressed or anxious is tiering, so reward yourself with a bit of a rest or relaxation perhaps?
Well done!

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I have been SO tired today so have achieved very little. Well, not true - I had to go back to see my own GP, and I have had lunch with a friend. The rest of the time I have sat doing nothing. But we are going camping tomorrow (and my kids are VERY excited so I didn't want to disappoint them) so I have made a start at getting stuff organised. I have sent my parents off to get the kids from school as otherwise my mum would make me work all afternoon (well, not really but you know what I mean) and I don't really feel like it - we will chuck some clothes in a bag, the rest of the stuff is fairly organised, just in various places round the house, and as our gas supply is off as they are digging up the road at the moment I can't do any cooking to take with us so that's a good excuse. We are going with friends who have kids of the same age and who know about my depression so hopefully it will be good (as long as it doesn't rain too much).

Anyway, I am waffling now! I wil go now and relax before the kids get in.

Rollinat x

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
congrats on doing so well. Its a very god idea to write down your feelings as a lot of people have difficulty admitting to how they feel. Dont know if id brave enough to go camping tho, but thats cos im soft

D

Dollit

Well done - that was difficult but you have achieved something very good out of it. I'm proud of you. :hug: