• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

First Psychiatrist Appointment for BPD

L

littlekidwithglasses

I have understood I have had borderline personality disorder for some time, I have gotten therapy twice, but never been diagnosed and have never had it help too much. I have gotten a referral to a psychiatrist, after I had an extreme breakdown including considering suicide, threatening suicide to my (then) partner, and absolutely losing control. I have since lost my partner of a year and a half, and knew I needed to get more serious help. Would you recommend bringing up borderline personality disorder at my appointment, or let them figure it out on their own? What should I expect from my first appointment?Also, to you who have bpd, have any of you been on mood stabilizers and how did it work for you? From the research I have done I think they would help me a lot considering I deal with emotional dysregulation A LOT. Going through a tough time, and pretty confused, so would like any advice I could get about bpd!!

Last edited:
C

Candy19

for my appointment I didn't suggest BPD because I hardly knew anything about it, but I knew about DBT because my last therapist bought it up so I asked if I could be put onto that and they continued to ask me questions about my upbringing, moods, episodes, self harm, history of suicide attempts and other things that relate to the BPD diagnosis

If you are planning to try treatment then you could do the same thing as me and ask for DBT, especially if other therapies hasn't been working for you

I guess depending on how the conversation goes you could bring up that you suspect having symptoms of BPD, rather than coming out saying you know you have it, as usually they are weary of people who self diagnose personality disorders like that, rightfully so though

and no I haven't been on mood stabilisers or anything, they kept trying to put me on them when I was misdiagnosed with bipolar but I refused

L

littlekidwithglasses

My therapist has talked to me before about experiencing dysregulation, so I guess I can just bring that up and get him started on the idea.