First post, not sure what to expect but would like help?

L

Louise1990

I'll try and keep this short, I've had problems with my mental health for as long as I can remember. And it's very common for mental health and addictions and I've been abusing alcohol for about 9 years.

I drink myself to sleep every night, well... that's why I started drinking in the first place, now of an evening I guess I'm drinking to feel.... different? I suppose. It's hell in my brain and the alcohol just makes everything quieter I suppose.

I know I need to stop as this will only exacerbate my 'issues'

Has anyone else out there been like this and managed to give up alcohol? How did it make you feel to start with, and later on? can you drink socially or given up completely?

I did go to an alcohol support place, but apparently because I'm not getting shakes, drinking first thing in the morning or anything that severe, I don't fall into the category of people they help.

Sorry that was longer than expected, any help or anything would be appreciated, thank you

Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
Hi Louise and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Hopefully some members will come across your thread and offer some advice.
I just wanted to pop by and say hello
Hugs
Fox

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hello Louise1990
yes alcohol i have used this over the years to self medicate. it kinda helps with the anxiety but the depression is so not helped by it. i try not to do this more than 2 times in the week. and this is not every week it can be weeks before i think about needing to drink. i am a low user but i have been habitual. as in 2 decades. as you know alcohol can creep up on you.

so in a way i have been walking a tight rope of managing with and without alcohol. for me it made me feel sleepy and in the early days it also affected my hearing lol everything seemed much quieter.

like you i need at times to have a break from the mh. but i have never drank every night. not got the money for it. which in the past was what kept me to only drinking when it got really bad. i had to eek out money in order to do this. strange really as it kinda worked in a random kinda way and that is the method i still use.

last night and the night before were my two nights. also i dont have the constitution to hammer the drink. the thing with me is i dont think about alcohol as that gives it power and i try my best not to atribute it to having the qualities of "coping" if that makes sense.

it is good that you recognise that you have an issue with alcohol and that is the first step as you know to changing your relationship with alcohol.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi Louise,
Have you been to your GP about your sleeping problems and alcoholism?? They can help refer you to mental health services and offer other options.
Good luck in coming off the alcohol and take care

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

IMHO you are absolutely addicted which means you absolutely need help and support to get well again

i believe there is medication that can make the journey bearable but i doubt you can do it at home

downunder there is something called a Withdrawal Service and all they do is give you valium, something for nausea, and bore the shite out of you.

You actually are far better doing it at home if you can, talk to your gp and see if you can get some at home nursing support for withdrawal.

best

bdu