• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

First post - hi ! I need advice before I see pysch

S

Sarah79x

Long term 'depressive' age -16-current (37)
Traumatic personal history - talking therapy sorted mostly
Drugs since age 16 seroxat sertraline fluoxetine adjunct therapy (mirtazapine /quetiapine ) all failed
Cipralex (brand) worked but since pregnancy and twins one year ago things different
Anyway I'm mental brain never felt like this before and despite change to PROZAC (brand) 5 weeks ago it's getting worse and on up to 20mg valium day
Urgent psychiatrist review - tuesday
Anyway big family history bipolar and it could fit

Reason for posting is I don't trust professionals !! If anyone!! I'm scared I expect I will be put on an adjunct anti psychotic or mood stabiliser

And they always give the cheap basic stuff first
I don't think I can have lithium (thyroid disease)
I need to get better fast
I have two babies dependant on me
I am already obese so don't want to get hugely fat
I don't want to be a zombie

I'm used to get the 5 star drugs (eg cipralex) but have no idea what's 5 star in realms of antipsychotic /stabilisers

I'm just putting it out there for advice of what's worked for them
Ive know of lamictal and carbamazepine as anti convulsants
Could they lead to seizures on stopping

I need a fix fast and won't cope with crap cheap generic drugs that'll delay success

Any advice?? I won't except quiteapine again it made me totally violent

Also how do they diagnose bipolar ? They keep ringing me to check im ok and suggest it
I'm not gonna kill mysf but I totally understand why people do right now ! Will they tell me on the day

Nikita

Nikita

Former member
Hi Sarah,
It is important what you think is your diagnosis and that what they diagnose make sense to you and seems to fit you,apart from that it is just a label.

You should have a say i what drugs they put you on for example if quiteapine made you violent they should't expect you to take it.If they do put you on anti psychotics be aware they can all cause serious weight gain.
You are on minor tranquilizers so I question the need to add anti psychotics to the mix if you are not having psychotic symptoms like hearing voices,hallucinating or delusions.
I think if you are having mood swings there are specific drugs can help with that one being lithium but I am not sure what the others are or if the price of a drug being high necessarily makes it more effective or better.

I hope some of what I have said helps you,I hope you can get things sorted.Nikitax

S

Sarah79x

Thank you very much some things you say really helpful about my right to discuss any a diagnosis and if I feel it fits