• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

First panic attack. New here.

K

Kells28

So i'm new here. I'm not really sure where to start with this. My parent's both suffer from anxiety and depression. I always knew I suffered from anxiety and I've definitely had my bouts of depression. I've never been to therapy or taken any medication, Anyways, I'm here because I've recently had a panic attack. I've always assumed the weird panic episodes I had before were anxiety attacks although to be honest, i've never done the research so i had no idea what the difference really was until a few weeks ago. I'd had what I would call a "good" day. Low stress at work. Bought myself some snacks on the way home and was looking forward to unwinding and watching youtube in my bed. I was alone and watching a show when all of a sudden my vision went fuzzy, it was the first thing I noticed. My face started tingling and I was so certain that I was about to die. I freaked out and luckily my mom happened to be around at the time. I sat with my head between my legs and cried while she rubbed my back. It helped having someone just touching me at the moment. I felt more grounded. Like i was still here and alive and I existed. I've still not worked up the nerve to see a doctor and right now I'm just living in fear of having another. I guess it threw me because I always imagined that I'd have to have a bad day or be thinking about stressful things when it would happen but I was calm, In my bed, relaxing. that's what scares me. Anyways if you're still reading this. thank you and I guess I'm just here because I want to know someone like me. I want to know I'm not alone on this.

fazza

fazza

Good morning. I just wanted to say hi as the forum is very quiet at the moment.
You will get plenty of advice here from others that have had panic attacks.
Not sure where you are in the world but a lot of people on here are from the UK and are in bed.

Hope you get some answers.

J

Jezabella

Hi there x I have suffered from panic attacks for the past two years sometimes when they are bad I have several in a day- usually when my sleeping has been interrupted. Touch is great- I have 3 dogs and a partner who have all helped me. I always worry I’m going to have an accident and have actually wet myself a few times when I panic because I become fixated on it and then the sensation is like a release. There are some grounding techniques I have found useful- I tap my fingers, I wear a piece of jewellery to touch and I find smells helpful. I have had to go back on medication recently and I have only ever used propananol which I think slows down my heart rate and helps me with the panic attacks I have at night. I would see your go and get to grips with what’s best for you sooner rather than later x