First mental health appointment

L

Lostmind

Hi can anyone relate to there first mental health appointment ? I was confused as when it was over my mental health nurse said he will call next week regarding medications

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

:welcome: to the forum. I don't even remember my first mental health appointment. But I think I had it when I was 16. :shrug:

L

Lostmind

Hi , thanks for reply , it’s all confusing to me but hopefully il get some answers next week ��

Cazcat

Cazcat

If it was the nurse doing the assessment and he is not qualified to prescribe he will need to discuss with a Dr in his team regarding an appropriate medication, that could be a reason for the delay.

L

Lostmind

Hi caz he did mention he needed to speak to his colleagues I just assumed I’d be told of any conditions I’m suffering straight away :cry: thanks

Cazcat

Cazcat

Generally CPNs are not qualified to make diagnoses. They often complete an initial assessment and then discuss their findings with other team members to decide the best course of action. It is likely that at some point you will see a psychiatrist within the team for diagnosis. A lot of mental health teams seem to concentrate on treating people's symptoms rather than diagnosis in my experience. Mental Health diagnoses are complex and often have overlapping symptoms so it can take time to decide on. My husband has been under his psychiatrist for 5 years and doesn't yet have a definate diagnosis the good news is that his symptoms are now well controlled.

L

Lostmind

That’s brilliant if your husband is getting better and feeling better , I will speak to my nurse next week for some more information , as you can imagine it was emotional & over whelming at my appointment so I left in a daze , thanks x