• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

first diagnosed parinoid then rediagnosed PTSD

H

hobbs

In september 2000 i was the victim of attempted murder, sexual assault, aggravated robbery & toucher. The incident lasted about 5 hours of repeated hell. When i woke up in the park the cops took me to hospital and with my bad relationship with health care workers(nurse&drs) i wasnt believed. I was treated poorly(putting politely). When ever i had flash backs of the incident the nurses would say things like "you werent raped and no we wont have sex with you" at the top of their voices so all the patients could hear. I was constantly mentally abused by drs and nurses and patients a like. All this mental abuse while i was trying to teach myself how to talk again. Any way it was said on my file that i got a copy of that i am a man of poor character, unreliable history and untrustworthy nature ect. Then a couple of years later i complained to the police commissioner and he sent police internal affairs and major crime squad to investigate as the said above attempted murder ect and said the offender had criminal form for everything he did to me. Then the mental health clinic i was going too diagnosed me with PTSD and gave me 5 sessions with a guy who was a student phycologist for PTSD counciling that was all the couniciling i have ever had. I have constant flashbacks everyday, they are most disturbing. The thing that i did to help heal myself was to return to study at collage it was a real hard thing to do i had to read the first sentence in my study books 20 times before i would understand what i was reading because of constant flashbacks. Now all these years latter i am still studying and haven't had a disabling panic attack in years. I know that the study i took was the occupational tool i used to heal my self by giving me a distraction and sense of accomplishment. I usually pass with high marks too which gives me a sense of pride. All these years latter i still cant sleep until dawn. When i do sleep i have a panic attack in my sleep and wake up this happens for hours before i finally nod off And when i do fall asleep i have terrifying nightmares. With all this on my mind and other violent crimes i have suffered and not believed by authorities i also have never had a relationship nad i have no friends i am alone and seriously depressed i fight suicide everyday, but i live for god. I thought i would tell you all this in the hope that if anyone else is suffering ptsd that they to collage and study part time i know that study will retrain and discipline your mind thus healing your soul.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
hello and :welcome: hobbs :)

Did/have you ever found out why you were never believed ??!!
(y) Welldone on getting good marks etc with your studies.

H

hobbs

No i never found out why, a guy i know told me how things would go in court and because i was easily influenced i dropped the police action, now i regret that discision, the cops said i could go ahead with charges if i ever want to in the future. I was going to hire a lawyer and sue for criminal compensation then sue the hospital for abuse and misdiagnoses that i suffered so i could find out why i wasnt believed. The saddest thing about this is i found out of a guy i know who works for an aboriginal liaison service that the aboriginal offender not only sexually assaulted me he did it to several others after me.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
All sounds odd to me .......... but any how just like to say hope you like it here and make many friends. :). We are all supportive and help/listen etc when we can.

Takecare now and see you around the boards :)

:tea:

D

Dollit

I think you're doing really well in learning to put the past where it belongs. And I'm glad you've found a productive way of dealing with PTSD. Some people never find a way of dealing with their problems, I'm glad you have. And welcome to the forum.

H

hobbs

I think the main reason i wasnt believed is because i have a prior diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia so it all is crazy talk to them

D

Dollit

Well that's because people tend to see a diagnosis and and not a person. We should ideally be judged on the merits of each situation and not on what our health problems are. It's an appalling way to be be treated but keep on fighting back Hobbs, keep on getting well.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Well that's because people tend to see a diagnosis and and not a person. We should ideally be judged on the merits of each situation and not on what our health problems are. It's an appalling way to be be treated but keep on fighting back Hobbs, keep on getting well.
Well said Dollit & i totally agree .

C

Charliesdad

I'm sad to hear of the trauma you experienced and amazed to learn that you were not believed by the very "professionals" who were in charge of your care.

I too have taken a course at college and totally understand about how difficult it is to concentrate and fit in when your experiencing flashbacks, and i agree that it does feel good to achieve good marks even though we suffer so much to do so. I always feel a sense of achievement in doing so.

I think going to college, for me, was a great help in me integrating into society after a long spell of not going outdoors.

The most suprising thing for me at college was when i told my classmates about my problem with PTSD, i expected them to treat me differently but they were totally supportive and the feeling on relief that people knew about my problem, for me, was massive.

Thanks for your story it was a inspiration me. :)

B

bellbell

Your post just makes me absolutely disgusted at the way mental heath is treated in society. In the UK there are certainly charites that would take up your cause and help you. I'm unsure about Australia, however, I'm really sorry.

Tbh, in my experience, male rape victims have the worst time of all. Women don't get it easy, but the majority of police and doctors are male, and if female rape makes them 'uncomfortable' (- this is what an expose on my local police showed an officer saying. 'uncomfortable'. What the hell is it like for the poor sod in the interview room, a day in the park?! - sorry.) then male rape makes them positively jumpy.
I apologise if i'm not helping, but I'm positively livid for you at the moment.