• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

First Assessment

topsyturvy

topsyturvy

I went to what turned out to be the first of a series of assessments. I was bouncing off the walls. I felt ridiculously hyperactive and spoke quite rapidly. At least thats what my mother said when I spoke to her when I got home from the appointment. She asked me about my life and I answered as accurately as I could, and attempted not to bulls***, as I am accustomed to doing so with such people. I stated that that I didn't like the idea of taking pills and had been prescribed anti-depressants before, and stopped taking them. I told her that in my mind I wasn't mentally ill, and that maybe I was just a bit eccentric. As I usually do, when I explain things, I waved and gestured with my hands. She kept watching my hands which I found most unnerving. At the end of the this session she laid out my options for me, as if she had already made up her mind about me. She told me that I would have one or two more assessments with her and then likely go on to weekly therapy for a minimum of 6 months, and if I was open to it, to see a psychiatrist to talk about a diagnosis and possibly mood stabilizers. I think she said that this is opinional, because I had mentioned that I find being letter boxed or labelled to be very upsetting, though a part of me wonders if it would be better for me in the long run... if these so called professionals deem there to be something wrong with me, then maybe I should know about it.

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Hi Topsy, Well done for taking that initial first step and asking for help; it's always the hardest! Good luck with the future assessments and fingers crossed that you'll finally get the help you need.

Take care xx