• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

First appointment with psychiatrist

P

prettywoman

Hi All,
Finally got my letter to make an appointment with psychiatrist. Worried and relieved at the same time. I know I cant carry on the way I am, destroying me and my family.

Just dont know what to expect.

emski

emski

First things first, don't be frightened. It is useful to make a list of your symptoms / concerns to take with you - my head always goes when I get into a consulting room. Try to have to many expectations, because it may not be how you imagine - just go in with the facts and see what they psychiatrist has to say. If you don not agree with them or don't feel comfortable with anything, you must say. Good luck, keep posting

P

prettywoman

Thanks for that. Thats good advice. I hadnt thought of doing that, but it makes sense. Im struggling at the minute to distinguish whats fact, and whats in my head....having lots of very vivid dreams, hearing things...but normal things.....like phone, microwave etc, but at 3am!!! Just feel totally disconnected from reality, go through the motions, but so easily distracted....just want to feel ok again.

emski

emski

Ok, write it down that you can't tell sometimes what's real and what's not. Write down those examples. This is all concrete stuff you can take with you

Do you have the appointment yet or do you have to phone up for it? I hope you don't have to wait much longer, it must be very frustrating

P

prettywoman

Got a date for appointment with psychiatrist- March 16th!!! Anxious, also daughters birthday! Ex Partner who i thought was being supportive....turned out to be only appearing supportive when Im doing what he wants...eg I go back to him!! Then he wonders why i behave towards him the way i do.....be grateful for any advice on first appointments.

emski

emski

Just find the best way for you to put across what is going on for you. I find keeping a diary is a useful thing - things that are going on for me, thoughts, feelings, moods around them. It helps to explain this to others, and helps me to spot when my moods are changing. Maybe even try a mood diary chart - there are templates available on the internet

NeoDelta

NeoDelta

Write down things in bullet points to help you explain what is going on, how things effects you day to day, how you feel when things are going on, how its effecting your family, be honest with your psychiatrist, they wont know how to treat you properly if you miss things out, ive learnt that from experience (resulting in misdiagnosis, wrong meds etc).

P

prettywoman

Thanks...what sites do i get mood chart/diary from?

emski

emski

You can just google mood diary, there are lots to choose from, see which you like best. I was hoping to give you some links, but for some reason I can't get on google... :confused: