• Hi. It’s great to see you. Welcome!

    Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life. Amongst our membership there is a wealth of expertise that has been developed through having to deal with mental health issues.

    We are an actively moderated forum with a team of experienced moderators. We also have a specialist safety team that works extra hard to keep the forum safe for visitors and members.

    Register now to access many more features and forums!

Fire in kitchen- very lucky

F

firemonkee57

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
8,218
Last night. I forgot to switch the grill off. By the time i remembered lots of flames were coming from the grill. Had to pour water over grill in blind panic. Knocked out kettle/tv/and desktop computer. Woman from council talked me through as test button wouldn't hold and finally found that cooker had to be switched off and i need to get new cooker. I felt really bad as i had to keep her hanging on the phone while i checked and rechecked things.
Smoke detector sounded for ages. Youngest step daughter said she will phone her sister about ordering new cooker. I said i didn't know how to and she said all gas cookers now have to be fitted by a qualified expert.
Felt really shaken up/flustered/ and useless for severalhours . Completely out of my depth when it comes to situations requiring practical action. Realise when a situation like this occurs that i am not as capable as mh services seem to think i am and i'm heavily reliant on others. Luckily my two step daughters, especially my youngest, are both very good.

Not very good at using phone to get help but guess all i need to say when i get new cooker is 'I would like a new cooker fitted ' and just make an appointment. I presume they will dismantle the current one.


All in all it could have been much worse as if the smoke alarm going hadn't prompted me i wouldn't have gone in to check before it was too late.
 
-Phoenix-

-Phoenix-

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 13, 2011
Messages
1,346
Sounds like you had a really distressing night. But I'm glad that aside from the emotional distress it caused that you were unharmed.

Smoke alarms save lives. I'd better go and check mine are working properly. Might be an idea for everyone else to do the same.
 
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2012
Messages
13,534
Location
The West Country
Fucking hell, that's really scary! Really glad that it didn't escalate and no serious damage was done. But still, that must have been a shock to your system.
Try and take it easy. And be really careful. :hug:
 
Juglooma

Juglooma

New member
Joined
Jul 29, 2019
Messages
3
Location
London
My grandmother is paranoid about the fire in the kitchen and I always say that she's watching too much TV. She's always checking the switches of the grill, every goddamn evening.
 
G1lborg

G1lborg

New member
Joined
Oct 11, 2019
Messages
4
Location
London
This often happens with the cheap equipment but also if it was installed properly. These problems can happen because we try going cheap. When people will understand that quality is not cheap? While I lived with my parents, I couldn't do anything about it. It was their money and they prefer to buy cheap appliances which were breaking fast and they we couldn't afford to buy another one for a while. But this was in the past, now I'm a totaly different person.
For quality kitchen equipment go on Commercial Cooking Equipment - Australia Wide Delivery | Ian Boer.
 
Top