• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Finding your terminally ill parent when they died

R

Red678

Unsure what's wrong with me but I know my mind set has not been right since I found my mam on the morning she died dont know what to do even 3 years down the line

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I'm sorry to hear this. I know it's hard losing a loved one. The loved ones I've lost I say prayers to whatever I can. I pray you get some relief from the stress you're feeling and to move on mindful and peaceful.

R

Red678

I dont know why I'm as bad as I have been, with my job I've seen more death than enough working with the elderly but I really think finding my mam the day she died has done more damage to me mentally than what I realise because I brush feelings under the carpet mainly because I want to be strong for my dad and brother I'm scared I'll look weak and I don't want that. My way of thinking is well if my dad and brother can get on with life I should be able to cope better because I'm in care dont want to go for professional help because I dont want to burden

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you haven't allowed yourself to grieve yet and instead trying to hold it all back.

I think talking with a professional would help you process all your feelings and would be a good idea.

There's no timeline when it comes to grieving but actually allowing yourself to does help.

Hugs

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I cant seek help, I dont want to let this beat me and be seen as weak :(
Seeking help isn't weak,it actually takes a strong person to reach out for help.

How's managing on your own working for you? Not so well,right?

This forum is filled with many,if not most,members that have or currently are in treatment for their issues,myself included. Does that mean we are all weak?

I think it takes strength and courage to say hey,I can't do this on my own.

R

Red678

Its never been me.... I always try help others before myself I've lost a few people in my life but with mam I seen so much and it was a major traumatic life event for me which I've never had to deal with something like this before hand never had to be in a battle with my own head .... I have been on depression tablets not long after she died but never went back because I felt better

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I hope you eventually decide to seek help. You deserve to feel better.

I found it helpful to talk about my Dads death in therapy. I was able to process a lot of feelings I was holding back.

I also worked through another death that was pretty traumatic for me to witness. I didn't think I would ever get the images out of my mind and be able to move past it. But I did,with the help of my therapist.

There's no shame in not being able to "beat" something. You experienced something traumatic,there's nothing wrong in getting guidance in working through it.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Ultimately it's up to you @Red678 whether you seek help with this or not.

Either way I genuinely wish you well with it and hope you can find a way to make peace with it.

Hugs

K

Kc88

Sounds like PTSD and depression. You dont have to take medication but maybe talk to a trauma therapist. You are not weak for wanting to better yourself I actually would admire you. The weak thing would be to "Be Afraid" of getting help cause you care what others think. No one has to know a thing. do it for yourself.

R

Red678

I phoned my gp and I have anxiety depression together but mostly depression hes gave me numbers and websites for when I am ready to talk to someone and I am starting sertraline tomorrow

Z

Zoe1

hi Red

that isn't weakness its normal to be traumatised
by outstanding circumstances

my brother was there when my Mum died and I wasnt
its obvious he is deeply traumatised and is not able to do much
he also will not seek help , I think the idea offends his masculinity or something

:grouphug: 🌝🎼

R

Red678

hi Red

that isn't weakness its normal to be traumatised
by outstanding circumstances

my brother was there when my Mum died and I wasnt
its obvious he is deeply traumatised and is not able to do much
he also will not seek help , I think the idea offends his masculinity or something

:grouphug: 🌝🎼
I have seen a gp now so I am hopeful to get better soon. Aww am sorry to hear that yeah think it's a man thing, I just think if they can get on with things so can I but I had to admit defeat

Z

Zoe1

actually admitting defeat in the circumstances
is a strength

sometimes life defeats us, we seek help
and we go on to be the winners ...

R

Red678

actually admitting defeat in the circumstances
is a strength

sometimes life defeats us, we seek help
and we go on to be the winners ...