• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Finding it difficult to do the things that are meant to make you better?

D

Darby

Finding it difficult to do the things that are meant to make you better?

Well I'm going to be seeing a therapist again after 6 months since seeing one last. I remember a lot of the time they would encourage if not make my main objective to do things like converse with family and sit and watch television, simple things because talking to people is normal and everything.

Well I simply can't find any enjoyment watching television, I find no conversation interesting and it mentally hurts to try and pretend I'm interested in conversation. I just want to either do something that gives me immediate pleasure such as downloading music. But even that's reaching it's limit now.

Life was something I found exciting but after many hundreds of hours of thinking about the topic in my own head, life that is, it's became a parody of itself to me, everything just seems boring. I want to sleep and when I sleep I dream and when I dream it's real, whether it's a nightmare or not, it's truly breathtaking but being awake I see no things I want to do. I just don't see the point.

I've got to get on with my life but I can't even find pleasure in the smaller things, the things that are meant to be what life is about. I don't know how to make progress and overcome depression if my views on life have been cemented already. They ain't changing, so I guess I can try and get on with life with this numbed way of looking at life but that's difficult but it seems like the only positive way of dealing with this type of depression.

What do you think?

L

LadyBetts

Hi Darby,
I'm sorry your feeling bad.
Is there anything you really like to do, like go for a cruse or play games? or maybe you need something challenging like chess or working on a project? Just something to think about, hope it helps.
In the morning I started to write my drams down and it seems to help me wake up and be present.

I hope you feel better

-Lady Betts

A

Alienated

That's the normal progression of pleasure seeking, burn-out. It's a built-up tollerance, you need more and more, and more intense to get the same effect. That's why a ballanced life has work, pain, sorrow..

It's the opposite of :All work an d no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

Well all play and no pain, makes someone that can't enjoy anything anymore.. There is a cure, it's pushing through the pain.

You need to give your brain a rest from producing Dopamine, the reward chemical your brain should produce. Your brain can't produce the amounts you need to get the same effect.

Push though the pain, boredom, anhadonia.. And soon your brain will start producing enough to stabilize you.. It takes time, but it does happen.

Recovery from a addiction is the same, it helps to find something new that's positive, to replace the negative effects of the activies that caused it... Try weight lifting, or jogging, exercise.. Trust me, when the pain stops, it feels wonderful. :LOL:

D

Darby

That's the normal progression of pleasure seeking, burn-out. It's a built-up tollerance, you need more and more, and more intense to get the same effect. That's why a ballanced life has work, pain, sorrow..

It's the opposite of :All work an d no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

Well all play and no pain, makes someone that can't enjoy anything anymore.. There is a cure, it's pushing through the pain.

You need to give your brain a rest from producing Dopamine, the reward chemical your brain should produce. Your brain can't produce the amounts you need to get the same effect.

Push though the pain, boredom, anhadonia.. And soon your brain will start producing enough to stabilize you.. It takes time, but it does happen.

Recovery from a addiction is the same, it helps to find something new that's positive, to replace the negative effects of the activies that caused it... Try weight lifting, or jogging, exercise.. Trust me, when the pain stops, it feels wonderful. :LOL:
That's interesting, what if you feel there's nothing for you to do, your dreams are no longer possible, you have no goals and ambitions.

A

Alienated

It's your life, it's worth fighting for.. You seek out what you need, it isn't just brought to you.

We live in a society of instant gradification.. The truth is Nothing worth having is free, it's ths struggle to achieve the goal that makes life worth living.

But you have to run the race before you get the trophy, and that takes training.. Watch the Rocky films.

Make a decision on a goal, plan your steps, and NEVER give up till you reach it. Feelings have nothing to do with it, it's the goal that matters. Feelings lie, but the truth is there is allot of things to choice from.

Last edited:
D

Darby

I appreciate what you're getting at.

I watch the Rock films and I used to be like whoa yeah that's how WINNING is done! BS. Who wants to win, win what exactly? What goals are there to be made, other than the bare essential of surviving which is pretty much second nature.

There's nothing in life worth aiming for when you see you're no longer mentally able to produce whatever talents you had or even thought you had. Even if I was delusional and I would never have done what I dreamed of doing, I still had a serious belief is was real.

you can't reverse how your mind thinks and I know for sure I'm never going to be able to do what my passions were, call me defeatist or just not strong enough but I'm me and I know what I'm now capable off and writing is certainly off the map for me and that was the only thing I ever truly enjoyed.

My prospects are minimal wage jobs without any dreams, I know that's what my destiny is. I also know I'll without a doubt be alone for the rest of my life, why? Because who the hell wants to spend time with someone who is full of self-pity, afraid to leave the house, doesn't care about anything. Has a depressing view of life. Who is boring as hell because the world is boring to me and there's simply no personality left in me worth knowing, trust me.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
How can you say your prospects are minimal wage jobs without dreams?
I have dreans even working for next to minimum wage. Dreams shouldn't be affected by your job! If you believe that's your destiny then that it wil be. Only you can improve your prospects. Sometimes we just gotta ride out these shit black holes to get to the otherside, hopefully when you get there you can dream again

D

Darby

How can you say your prospects are minimal wage jobs without dreams?
I have dreans even working for next to minimum wage. Dreams shouldn't be affected by your job! If you believe that's your destiny then that it wil be. Only you can improve your prospects. Sometimes we just gotta ride out these shit black holes to get to the otherside, hopefully when you get there you can dream again
It's not that, ou've misread what I meant. What I mean was, I want dreams, I had dreams whilst working minimal wage and the kept me motivated and I was fine knowing the might never come true but the were real to me.

After a horrible 12 months, I've completely lost all m creativity and more importantly m love and excitement for life, two things EXTREMELY Important things that without, dreams simply won't come true because you can't magically create creativity which is what makes you different from the next person. It's what makes you, you.

Well I can't explain what I mean when I sa I've "lost" m creativit, I've tried tellign other people but the simpl den its possible. Well believe me when I sa if our thoughts go down a certain path for so long ou lose the abilit to be creative, to create things, to make things, to imagine things, to create stories which is what I lived for, to write, the onl thing I loved to do. Now I see black and I see white, I see no magic anwhere in the world. I can't create stories because m mind simpl can't do such things anmore. Sure I can create a borign stor because that's how I am now, I can't create something that might be interesting to somebod else, I can't do the nl thing I've felt I was good at, whether I was or not is irrvelant it was a dream, it made me happy.

Well take that awa, that's m prospects.

I apologize for the lack of y's, my y key is broken and it would mean coping and pasting in all the missing places.

I don't know how to explain this without the typical answer that it's impossible to lose our creativity, our personality, well I have and I'm me and our you, you know what's going on in ur head and as do I and I'm not silly nor unrealistic.

So please don't think it's the problem with a job, I don't care what job I had when I still cared about things. Its about having that job when our prospects have been numbed.

But oh well, again with the self-pity, one thing I've learned is no one really gives a crap about another person, trust me on that. At the end of the day, people live for themselves, no matter what a person says.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ive never had any magic or creativety to loose :(

Im sure once your depressive cloud lifts your life will sparkle again, just need to hang in there

D

Darby

Thanks wildflow, perhaps it was neither, just misguided hope.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Well have some of my very directed hope :) I hope you can get your sparkles back

D

Darby

That's very nice of you, not sure I deserve it.

D

Darby

I'm back on them now, probably my 5th day. I've been on and off them past year and I can't say I've noticed anything but then again I've been housebound apart from the essential appointments etc. so I've not really had enough concrete experiences to report on. I need to stick these anti-ds out this time, I always give up on them after a month or so of not feeling any different at all. Then that leads to self-doubt.

Thank you tilta I appreciate your support.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I didn't feel like mine were helping and I wasn't sleeping so I swapped which meant reducing them first to start the next and for the first time in a while I felt everything! I was a dribbling mess and couldn't function. For me i know i can't do life without them! Just wish they were more effective. For my low mood anyway. So many tablets, tryingto find one that works ain't easy