• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Finding a job

T

TraciV

I am wondering if anyone has helpful hints regarding drafting a resume/acquiring a job after missing time because of a breakdown. I've been out of work since May of 2018, and am finding it difficult to draft a good resume due to my spotty work history stemming from my bipolar disorder. I have a law degree, but think that the profession may be far too stressful and acts as a trigger. Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

Not sure if it the best of advice but I believe there are some places or course that can help you write resumes. Usually I find a template and write one up based off of that, but no one ever seems to care about it, but I'm not any kind of real professional work. If anyone ask about a gap in work history you could be as vague as you had some health problem you had to attend to. I'm pretty sure legally that won't really ask about your medical history. You could always try to go into the field and if you feel is not working out, try something else. There may be a job your degree can get you that your not aware of that are not as stressful. So maybe put some thought and research into alternatives to what you orginally had in mind for your degree.

N

NoOne5

Knowing the right people helps. I don't care what anyone says. It does.

N

NoOne5

Even the workers from my local job training center told me that.

S

Shay94

There are templates online you can search up to use/base your resume off that. Law industry can be a really stressful environment, they usually require those that can hold their own and be able to remain calm in difficult situations etc. If you feel that profession won't work for you, you can always try to apply for something else that's a bit more relaxing job-wise until you feel ready to take on more amounts of pressure at work again. Working with mental illness sucks, I work with animals & thank god I do as it calms my anxiety when I feel it rising to the point of struggling to breathe normally, just do what feels right for you & slowly build yourself back up again

P

Prycejosh1987

I am wondering if anyone has helpful hints regarding drafting a resume/acquiring a job after missing time because of a breakdown. I've been out of work since May of 2018, and am finding it difficult to draft a good resume due to my spotty work history stemming from my bipolar disorder. I have a law degree, but think that the profession may be far too stressful and acts as a trigger. Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated!
Try google for an example or "outline" copy. Make sure its word format and then find a good one and then out your details in. It doesnt have to be pretty but it should make your details stand out, you need to grab the employers attention and make it CV simple to read. Bold format in headings worked for me.