• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

find it hard to listen?

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
when someone talks to me for a long time two things happen
1 i find it nearly impossible to comprehend what there saying i sometimes just make responces like yeah sometimes i do but other times it flows over my head like a torpedo
2 i totally misread what theve said and sometimes think theyve said something in "double meanings" or like theyre trying to tell me something really deep. my brain sometimes says computer says no and then i just think i'm an idiot.
3 i prioratise other small sounds in the room if my sister is talking to me and there is music in the background or a bus drives pass i'm more interested in those things well not interested just aware . its pissing me off its just at the moment cause i'm unwell but for heavens sake why cant i concentrate??

T

Twylight

I'm on Olanzapine and I find it separates my thoughts

without Olanzapine my thoughts become too powerfull

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I'm on Chlorpromazine.

I also find it difficult to listen,especially when there's more than one thing going on at the same time.
Someone asks me a question and I won't hear what they've said until they've repeated it two or three times. :eek:

It causes problems with the Doc too as I find I try to anticipate what he is asking me and end up answering a question I thought I was being asked rather than the actual question-very frustrating.

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi

hi everyone thanks for your reply yes i write down what to say at the doctors because otherwise i get confused sometimes my boyfriend says something and i say did you say........... and he says no i said and MEANT ..
no what you mean sometimes i ask a lot of times too. i take fish oils called iq
but when in ill phase concentration goes to pot oh ell at least i'm still here a bit lol:D

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I think it's called selective attention, you choose what to pay attention to, schitsoprenia ruins that.

I can be in the pub and i'll be following every conversation, it doesn't help that possibly one group of people may be discussing me, i can't filter out things because the filters aren't working properly, thats a theory

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
yes its like something has been blown in my mind when it comes to logical thinking like slight brain damage. i suppose if your drinking pints you find it easier i miss that. thats funny a friend of mine used to keep saying "thats that selective hearing again.":confused:

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
The other day at work I had to take notes for a project that I'm working on. When discussing things with my colleagues I was struggling to get everything they were saying down on paper. Felt like a bit of an idiot when I had to keep on asking them what they had just said a sentence or two back. Seemed like as I was writing the notes I could not continue to take in what they were saying, like missing pieces here and there. I never had trouble doing those two things at once before.

It's the same thing when I'm out walking with my local group, they are telling me things and sometimes all I can think of saying is, "Yeah. . oh yeah. . . right. . . yeah. . . ok. . . yeah, " and I feel like such a fool. It's not always like that because over the course of the recovery I have times when I can actually think of plenty of things to say when replying. I just have my bad moments.

I also have the same problems with the pub when trying to listen to someone.
Even when watching TV, it's like I forget what was said in a previous scene of a film or drama and then I loose some of the plot.

A

Apotheosis

It's the same thing when I'm out walking with my local group, they are telling me things and sometimes all I can think of saying is, "Yeah. . oh yeah. . . right. . . yeah. . . ok. . . yeah, " and I feel like such a fool. It's not always like that because over the course of the recovery I have times when I can actually think of plenty of things to say when replying. I just have my bad moments.
I can get everything that you describe too. What I find helpful is meditative & mindfulness techniques. I try to switch off the internal noise & focus on the silence; the silence between words, the silence that lies under sounds. I find that calming. Listening to Silence can be effective.

wolf

wolf

llll

The voices suppress my consciousness too and I find it hard
to think of what someone is saying with them interrupting my
comprehension.

Well, with a group or organisation of voices floating around my head,
images coming into my mind and torture, I seem to do very well.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
RE: Apotheosis

Yes, meditation - I recently received a couple of CD's that I ordered from Bangor University in Wales. They have a department that are researching ( and teaching ) meditation and mindfulness techniques. I have ripped them on to my PC and transferred them on to my MP3 player so that I can listen to them each night in bed. One at a time of course, It will be a few months before I try the second CD. So far, after listen to the tracks, I have found them to be very relaxing, soothing and I get off to sleep better afterwards. I've been waking up feeling better for it :).

I've also come across some articles and forum posts that have suggested mindfulness meditation does help people, and not just those with schizophrenia, to ease their voices. Even to stop them all together as someone had claimed in a video on Youtube. I don't have the links I'm afraid, as I read and viewed the video weeks ago. They were the reason I bought the discs.

RE: Wolf

I know what your saying, hearing these voices seems to take some processing power away when listening to other people. A bit like how your PC handles multiple tasks at once, there is only so much processing power available and the more there is going on at the same time, the less processing power there is available to handle other things. If your seeing things as well, even less. I've been distracted with imagery in the past so know how much worse it can be with that going on at the same time.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Here is the link for the CD's:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness/resources.php.en?catid=&subid=6251

They aren't free I'm afraid, each CD costs £10, buy 3 or more and get them for £8 each - these prices include postage and packing.

If they were free I would be happy to transfer them, but can't because of legal reasons.

I ordered:

1 CD Bodyscan and Sitting meditation (30 minutes each)
1 CD Sitting Practice (15 mins) + 3 min Breathing Space + 3 others

by Trish Bartley

£16 for both as listed on the order form.

I will be purchasing the rest at some stage and new sets are set for release in the autumn.

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi bluemoon i saw that link on you tube was it the one with the woman who stopped taking meds altogether and meditated every day. think i'll invest in those cds nice one

M

maudikie

maudikie to diddy pinkd.

Lack of concentration is a symptom of your condition. Do peole know that y ou have mental health problems? If youlose track of what they (especially your siser) are saying, just ask her to stop for a moment and gather your thoughts. Peole seem to speak quickly these days, and that makes it difficultt. so Ask if the cans peak a bit more slowly.

W

watchinghour

I think it's called selective attention, you choose what to pay attention to, schitsoprenia ruins that.

I can be in the pub and i'll be following every conversation, it doesn't help that possibly one group of people may be discussing me, i can't filter out things because the filters aren't working properly, thats a theory
I'm like that. It's like the Marvel Comics character, Dare-Devil, with his super hearing and other senses. Normally DD posseses the ability to selectively tune things out, but I remember reading one storyline a few years ago where he loses this ability and almost loses his mind in the process because he becomes perpetually aware. It's like I can follow every single conversation taking place around me, and I just know that if I listen long enough, I'll catch them talking about me.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to stay indoors. When I'm outside I'm just too conscious of eveything and everyone, and every action. At the same time I lose track of myself...I don't feel like I'm me doing my thing. I feel like I'm someone else watching me. Then I get self-conscious and feel a strong urge to escape from everyone.