• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Finances

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Why can some manage and others cant. Im on incapacity with dla and £350 private pension total roughly £850. I dont get rent or rates refielf and pay them at the full whack. I pay a mortgage and have a reasonable car and house.

The reason i ask is cos as they were bringing me home from hospital one of the other patients smelled dreadful and said she had only one pair of trousers. Im probably being thick but i find it impossible that she could not go into a charity shop and spend a fiver on some new clothes and a bar of soap.

I realise that when you get depressed hygiene may go out of the window, but your clothes dont dissappear.

Ive sorted some trousers and tops out for this woman but will ask one of the staff to give her them, so shes not embarrased

Im sorry if ive offended anyone, it wasnt meant to. My daughters always saying how difficult finances are yet they both have excellent jobs.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Why can some people sing and other's not?
Not everyone has what they need onboard to know how to be frugal 100% of the time.
A person may have €20 to buy food for the week, yet give it out on a CD instead because they are so depressed and needing to hear music that might make them feel better.
It's a complicated issue, I think. Everyone's environment and personal make-up are different.

D

Dollit

Some people just manage money better than others. My dad was hopeless but my mum is fantastic. I can get by if I do things weekly but I can't manage quarterly payments at all. It's part of the nature/nurture debate I think.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I dunno... I wish i did .. I am very generous and i dont count every penny prehaps if I did I could work out where my money goes lol

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
You can have clothes but it can be hard to wash them if you haven't a washing machine, i may have an elecy immersion heater on so called cheap rate but i never put it on as one winter when i put everything on i got a huge bill

My sister has told me i smell, i change my clothes every 2 days and have a shower, i can't afford to be constantly washing

firemonkey

firemonkey

They should have groups to teach budgeting skills in day centres and hospitals.
When i came out of hospital after my last stay in the early 80s i was clueless about things like budgeting/shopping/ and other day to day matters.
Luckily i came out with a friend, who i later married, who was older than me and knew the ropes.
I gradually learnt from her.
Quite a few non mentally ill people are useless with money. My youngest step daughter is the kind to get out loans to pay loans that she hasn't paid!

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/BpsR...908/want-to-spend-less-ditch-your-credit.html

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I agree firemonkey thats what i put in my original post about my daughter. I was not aiming this point at the people with mental illness but in general.

firemonkey

firemonkey

It's ok Daffy,i know you weren't aiming it just at the mentally ill. My father worked for years mainly on the commercial side of the diplomatic service and has always had a haphazard approach to money.