Finally plucked up the courage to phone Samaritans

A

angelflower

I've been feeling suicidal with strong urges. Finally plucked up the courage to phone Samaritans (I usually text). The lady I spoke to was lovely. We were on the phone for nearly an hour. I still have urges but have come up with a plan of what I'm going to do to stay safe. Dare I say, I'm so proud of myself for phoning them, and now I've done it once I know I can do it again.

SarahD

SarahD

That’s really good to hear. (The thing with the Samaritans, it depends if you get someone good or who you feel able to talk to, but if you don’t, you can call back and will get someone else). There are some kind and helpful people around still, thankfully.

i am very pleased you managed to make a safety plan. I know from personal experience how hard it can be to deal with these feelings.

wishing you well

Sarah x

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'm really pleased for you Angelflower, the Samaritans can be very helpful.
Take care

N

natalie

Hi Angelflower,

Well, done for speaking to Samiritans. I have a feeling that your anxieities about speaking to people over the phone, Iknow how i can be, over the phone, got in the way, and that was a barrier for you. Anyway, well done. As you say you know now that you can repeat the process, on hopefully not, another occasion.

I am glad that they were helpful, and that you have or via their help as well have devised a safety plan.

This is where my distraction techniques come into effect, such as fitness working out, and either needle working or knitting and listening to my walkman, are extremely helpful to me.

I am just wondering further whether if you might benefit from volunteering for chairitible organsations, volunteering can be very theraputic and rewarding. Just a trick tip there.

Best Regards,

Natalie.

A

angelflower

Been really bad with my urges this evening. Ended up phoning Samaritans again. We talked loads. Told her one of my worries was whether or not I will wake up in time for my therapy appointment tomorrow. She is arranging for someone to phone me tomorrow to make sure I'm up. I was so touched by her offering for them to do that. I have had 2 experiences of speaking to the Samaritans this weekend/today, and I can't fault either of them. I was so scared to phone, but I managed it, and would recommend to anyone who is struggling to give it a try. There's nothing to lose.

Last edited:
N

natalie

Hi Angelflower,

That is generous of the smaritans offering to phone to ensure that you are awake, what a good idea.

Now, as I always like to think or say, that by bottling things up, that's no good, it's always best to offload, eit her on here, or via the samaritans. i'm so pleased that you now have another outfit to help you.

You had barriers and hurdles, eventually you managed to speak with them and not just once = twice even, well done.

Natalie.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
make sure you set an alarm as they might forget or not read a note etc.
glad you have had those good experiences with the sams.
:hug1:

N

natalie

Hi Angelflower,

Just checking that you were up and about and in time for that Samaritans call, or wake up call should read - I hope the call, went well.

Try to be well,

Natalie.

A

angelflower

Hi Angelflower,

Just checking that you were up and about and in time for that Samaritans call, or wake up call should read - I hope the call, went well.

Try to be well,

Natalie.
Hi Natalie. Yes, all went well this morning. I got woken up by Samaritans, but also had my phone alarm set as well. I know staff promote indepence and waking ourselves up, but knowing how suicidal I've been lately, it was affecting my mental health worrying about whether or not I'd wake. It was my therapy appointment, which was really important that I didn't miss.

As far as the appt is concerned, it went well. They are never long enough. I told him how worrying about losing my therapist for a different one is making me feel. Also, the uncertainty about how long my group and individual therapy will last. My group therapy is due to finish around March time. My individual therapy we talked about. There's lots that needs exploring/to think about, but we started thinking about what my needs are, and he anticipates we will likely be working together for at least 6 months. He's trying to give me a peace of mind.