• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Finally made a doctor's appointment

J

Jisatsu

for next wednesday..

I'm nervous as hell :(
I also need to sort out how to get there by bus and think of what I'm going to say.. preferably without breaking down infront of my doctor.

S

Soren

hi,

don't worry about a thing. my advice is this:

first, spend a bit of time thinking about what you want to say, and write it all down so you don't forget anything once you're there. (you could take the paper in with you, and even tell the doctor that you've written stuff down if you like - its no problem.)

maybe write down some questions for him/her too - i always forget to ask the most important things on these occasions.

if you're worried about any aspect of going to see the doc, say so - in fact say anything thats on your mind at all. don't be afraid of speaking up and taking up the doctor's time - thats what they're there for.

you don't need to accept any diagnosis, treatment or drugs. take everything slowly and consider everything carefully. talk things through with your folks/friends at every stage if you can. you can go back and see your doc anytime.

finally, you don't need to worry about breaking down. its absolutely acceptable to do this.

i hope you get a sympathetic ear friend. good luck.:)

J

Jisatsu

Thank you for the reply and advice :)
I'm thinking of taking some feelings I have written down in my diary, ones I might struggle to say out loud.

S

Soren

thats a really good idea. let us know how it goes! :) take care. soren.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Well done for making that appointment! I hope it goes OK for you, let us know how you get on.

J

Jisatsu

Thank you all for the replies/support :)
I'll post a new thread on how it goes on wednesday x

W

whatstheproblem?

Don't want to sound patronising but well done Ji! That's a huge step in the right direction... Sure You will feel relieved after and be glad that you finally did it. :) xx

D

DELATEXT

Good luck you're very brave and not alone!!
The Doctor will help been there myself.
one step at a time ??

Delatext

:grouphug:

J

Jisatsu

Thank you all :)
I'm very nervous but my friend is coming with me for support because I know I'll be upset afterwards.