• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

finally got a job.

B

biggerdandy

Hi everyone,

I managed to get a job. Had training today and start my first shift tomorrow. Its working in bargain booze, and I have three shifts a week at three hours each (Im on 6-12 hours a week). Its my first job and Im a bit nervous. Today in training I got flustered with packing customers bags and such, but hopefully I get something out of this. Im on minimum wage but having some experience will help me in the future.

I find having a big qeue makes me anxious and panicky about serving people since Im a bit slower than other staff members and clumsier too. Is it normal when in a new job to feel a bit stressed? I normally find my anxiety and depression make me feel exhuausted and mentally tired quicker so I think 3 hours a day is enough for me right now

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes it is very normal in a new job to feel stressed in my opinion,

They won't expect you to be the fastest person in the world when you first start. They will expect you to make mistakes at first, it's only natural.

x

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Hi biggerdandy.

Nice one on getting a job. I hope it all goes well for you :) :)

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

Hi everyone,

I managed to get a job. Had training today and start my first shift tomorrow. Its working in bargain booze, and I have three shifts a week at three hours each (Im on 6-12 hours a week). Its my first job and Im a bit nervous. Today in training I got flustered with packing customers bags and such, but hopefully I get something out of this. Im on minimum wage but having some experience will help me in the future.

I find having a big qeue makes me anxious and panicky about serving people since Im a bit slower than other staff members and clumsier too. Is it normal when in a new job to feel a bit stressed? I normally find my anxiety and depression make me feel exhuausted and mentally tired quicker so I think 3 hours a day is enough for me right now
Congrats on your new job! Everyone's slow when they start a new job at first - you'll get the hang of it!

M

mooncat

Great news..well done and good luck.xx

B

biggerdandy

Aaaand I already hate it :( The shop I got placed in is next to a high benefits area... which wouldnt be a problem if it weren't for the fact its also a very well known area for drugs and rough characters. Now, it sells mostly alcohol and cigarettes, but I end up with people who stick of weed and other drugs coming in during the afternoons, gagging for a fix... and they take out their frustrations on me and the other staff.

One guy today asked me for amber leaf, and didnt specify if he wanted a box or bag. I asked which and he went off on one at me shouting (I dont smoke as you can guess, asthma) but when I picked one up I thought was right, I showed him it and asked him if it was the one he wanted. He said yes and left... then came back in 15 minutes later, threw it at me and screamed at me that it wasnt what he wanted, followed by

'You must be stupid! How the hell did you even get a job here!? It used to be good here till you came along!"

I've had other people who are horrible and petty. First day on the job and one of the guys came in wanting to return something, I didnt know how to do that as it wasnt covering in my training and he called me dumb and in need of better training and laughed at me

Another lady came in and when I asked her what bottle she wanted (she didnt specify which size) she looked at me like i was stupid. When she was done I said 'have a good day' because I try to be nice to these people and instead she turns to me and says 'well it's after 5 so actually it's good evening.' I was really annoyed because I tried to brighten the mood in the shop and she acts all petty and snarky.

I hate it here. Minimum wage, 9 hours a week on the busiest few hours of each day when its the worst people in the shop and I still feel like Im not getting enough money to put up with this. I left work and as soon as I got home I wanted to cry. I feel like shite

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Could you ask for hours at a earlier point of the day or to go to another store?

Mayfair

Mayfair

Aaaand I already hate it :( The shop I got placed in is next to a high benefits area... which wouldnt be a problem if it weren't for the fact its also a very well known area for drugs and rough characters. Now, it sells mostly alcohol and cigarettes, but I end up with people who stick of weed and other drugs coming in during the afternoons, gagging for a fix... and they take out their frustrations on me and the other staff.

One guy today asked me for amber leaf, and didnt specify if he wanted a box or bag. I asked which and he went off on one at me shouting (I dont smoke as you can guess, asthma) but when I picked one up I thought was right, I showed him it and asked him if it was the one he wanted. He said yes and left... then came back in 15 minutes later, threw it at me and screamed at me that it wasnt what he wanted, followed by

'You must be stupid! How the hell did you even get a job here!? It used to be good here till you came along!"

I've had other people who are horrible and petty. First day on the job and one of the guys came in wanting to return something, I didnt know how to do that as it wasnt covering in my training and he called me dumb and in need of better training and laughed at me

Another lady came in and when I asked her what bottle she wanted (she didnt specify which size) she looked at me like i was stupid. When she was done I said 'have a good day' because I try to be nice to these people and instead she turns to me and says 'well it's after 5 so actually it's good evening.' I was really annoyed because I tried to brighten the mood in the shop and she acts all petty and snarky.

I hate it here. Minimum wage, 9 hours a week on the busiest few hours of each day when its the worst people in the shop and I still feel like Im not getting enough money to put up with this. I left work and as soon as I got home I wanted to cry. I feel like shite
I wouldn't be so down hearted by today.

You get dickheads in all work places (customers or staff!)

You can't know everything at once. Once you get used to things and product knowledge etc., it will be much better - for a start your confidence will grow. I think also if it's in an area like you say, you will tend to see the same customers all the time and that makes things better as you get to know each other.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I'll give you 2 examples what occurred to me whilst reading it.

I use 2 shops mainly, a small 'local' supermarket (big chain though) and a large one that has just opened a few months ago.

When I go to the small one, most of them just turn around and pick out my cigs for me before I've even asked!

In the big one, I asked for 20 Benson Blue, and they said what?! We don't sell that! I said it's the third stupid new barrier from the left, 2nd shelf down. :LOL:

It struck me as odd that there are virtually no customers in the new big one (one of the reasons I like it :)), and there is always someone just stood looking into mid-air!. If it was me I would learn them when there aren't any customers.

B

biggerdandy

sadly no, this is the only shift Im getting for now apparently

B

biggerdandy

I wouldn't be so down hearted by today.

You get dickheads in all work places (customers or staff!)

You can't know everything at once. Once you get used to things and product knowledge etc., it will be much better - for a start your confidence will grow. I think also if it's in an area like you say, you will tend to see the same customers all the time and that makes things better as you get to know each other.
It's not an area I like, as I mentioned. It's the roughest area in my town, and why the hell would I want to get to know people who spoke to me like i mentioned? If I were in a nicer area of town I probably wouldnt have this for all of my work hours.

My stress levels have gone off the charts because the customers make me feel like Im stupid with how they speak to me, which just reinforces how I already feel about myself (badly) and Ive done nothing but get more anxious and depressed since Ive been there. Id rather go back to not having a job and focusing on coursework that tolerate this if its gonna carry on like this. It's sapping my energy so much Im barely doing anything other than dreading going to work

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It seems to me that they are testing the newbie. It actually happens quite a lot in smaller shops from my experience. It certainly did in my old job. Once people got to know our regulars and they knew what poop they would take or not take they were actually fine. For example, This one lady would constantly try for refunds with no reciepts and make up all kinds to get it. Once she saw I was on shift she just wouldn't bother because she knew I took no shit.

I hope once you get used to it they will let up a little on you.

M

Mark101

Yes it is very normal in a new job to feel stressed in my opinion,

They won't expect you to be the fastest person in the world when you first start. They will expect you to make mistakes at first, it's only natural.

x
Congratulations on the job. Quality first - take time to learn the new processes ...and speed will come naturally, when the time is right. I shop at Bargain Booze and I'm always happy no matter how big the queue or the friendliness of the staff. I'm there for my fix and thats what counts!

I was out of work twice last year. Finding a new job is great. Nervous at first, always a few dicks to work with but in the long run its good to have a routine, some cash and to see people regularly. Socialization is key in helping me get over my panics. Congrats again.