Filling your time

F

Funnyday

Apart from volunteering. What do you do to fill the days? I have loads of entertainment to hand. I just don't feel fullfillment from it.

N

natalie

Hi Funnyday,

I always have fullfillment, normally, and I have been busier much more assisting mum for the time being, ordinarily though, and things should right more normal next week onwards, I always do listen on a full time basis, on a day and evening to music, musicals, and I'll knit, or do my cross stitching combined, and also, I'll fitness train, i'll workout to my fitness dvds, ranging from low impact salsacise, through to low impact dancier aerobics, preferably I'll like to workout normally earlier in the mornings.

F

Funnyday

I've thought about joining a Gym to get some exercise but they are very expensive to use. I think that the local council one is over £250 a year membership.

N

natalie

I am just wondering, try researching church halls, they may have fitness groups whereby, they are independantly run, and you wouldn't have to worry about paying a membership, as some of these church halls classes are based on pay as you go method.

T

Tabby 88

It is easy for me to say that i would like to do classes, fitness, all of these ideas, but i don't feel confident going into a group anymore. This is because i am so unhappy and it shows. I don't get fulfillment from anything now, not for long. I don't know what to do with myself and my life because it seems pointless. I think without benefit worries in the future, i would be able to organise something that would keep me fulfilled, like volunteering, but with my illness, my sadness, my benefit anxiety, i never get anywhere.

Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
Definitely get a hobby that uses your hands. Like Natalie I love cross stitch as it keeps my hands active and my mind focused on the pattern infront of me. Its not overly expensive and you get a finished product at the end of it so a sense of achievement.

As for exercise is there any short walks you could do in your neighbourhood? Any woodland trails? That can help you focus on colours and textures of trees around you - it always helps me relax.

Small steps, small changes to your routine can really help.
Hugs
Fox

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

Hi there,

I myself have been in a pretty bad place recently and have just started a pottery class this week which I find very enjoyable and it's a new skill to learn which is always good :) Though this can be quite costly I find it very beneficial, but that's just me.

And like Foxjo said, going for a neighbourhood walk might be a good way to clear the mind and generally feel more positive. Especially if you have a dog; I've been walking mine a lot in the evenings which I find has helped.

I hope some of these suggestions help, best of luck to you x

T

Tabby 88

I have a cat i would love to take for a walk, but i don't think she would be very happy about it :eek: I saw a bengal cat on a harness enjoying being out, maybe i should get one of those too. Lots of work. I'd love a dog to walk.

I have a park not far away and must make an effort to walk around the pond.

I have an asda ten minutes walk away too and need to go there. I will do it, i will keep trying, it is just getting harder the longer i don't do it. I used to confidently walk into a group and feel very relaxed but now it is a bit different. I know how i look, that i look down or look vacant and i need to practice looking normal. Exercise is a must and i will start tomorrow. I will go for a walk tomorrow. I will!

N

natalie

If I can jump in here;

I just happened to have caught part of a post, that don't go classes/gyms/groups, because of don't feel confident; apart from the fact, for me, the classes round my way are far too early on in the morning, I used to have the thought that I couldn't go to classes, of zumba, due to my weight, and also I have my mental health anxiety, and also communication of dissability speech, so I began to fitness train, in at home to my fitness dvds in at home, I have lost some weight, and I always do feel de-irritible after having worked out and also i benefit from not having to pay for fitness! And today? generally today? I am still working out to fitness, by dvds in at home, I would like to try to get to zumba classes, however, because I am on standby call and I never know when i am going out t o volunteering ad hoc, i can't easily plan to automatically I'll go to classes, as I just don't know volunteering wise what could be around the corner so to speak.

Therefore, I'll continue to fitness train to my aerobics/dance aerobics dvds in at home, and also, chair fitness, that's something else, Tabby you might like to research is chair fitness, to ease into fitness to begin with; hopefully and when the weather's better and improves greatly, temperatures wise, I'll go to zumba gold classes. I just hadn't been attending recently owing to the weather temperatures. Very very cold, and I have had a bit of a cold recently. I am much much better now.

Confidence wise; me, I mean, I overcame that a long time ago.

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I find painting is my best out let, again it's not too expensive for a few paints and brushes, I feel creative and have been using it as a way to try and release some of my thoughts onto the paper. X

ThatSinkingFeeling

ThatSinkingFeeling

I used to be a lot more organised about filling my time. Volunteering (tutoring & running writing groups), writing, walking, swimming, gaming, watching films TV & anime, reading, drawing, cross-stitch, seeing friends & family & gf, etc. Nowadays I still do most of them but my main focus is cross-stitch amongst the odd gaming session and seeing folk. Need to get outside bit more, but it's nice to feel productive from crafts and tidying.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

If you have spare time, a few simple things you can do:

Reading - you can never read enough! Reading is great, whether it's getting lost in a fictional world of fantasy, or studying the history of the Mongol Empire - there's so much information out there, so get involved!

Gym - as you've mentioned! Treat your body well, cut some fat mass, and get working out. You'll feel lighter on your feet, better mentally, and fitter physically. It's a great habit to get into!

Volunteering - if you have spare time, why not give that time to helping others? This could be working at a charity shop, fundraising, campaigning - there's a variety of roles to play, depending on what kind of work you want to do and how much time you want to give. Giving up your time to help someone else makes everyone happier!

There's plenty more listed above. The world is your oyster - pick something you like the look of, and give it a go!x

Much love <3

4EVRHSP

4EVRHSP

I've been struggling to find things to fill up my days since I just quit my job and am now in the process of finding a new one. Job searching is awful and I'm eager to work again but in the meantime, there's just SO much time to fill.

I'm taking up driving lessons soon and have emailed a tennis instructor about starting some lessons. I feel like having those two things will fill up my weeks good in between cooking meals at home as well as job searching.

P

Pollypop

I have so many ideas of what to do, but they only stay as ideas.
I have the materials for so many things.
I keep adding to them, feeling so enthusiastic at the time.

However I don’t feel I deserve the pleasure of them.
There is so much to do in the house.
It is cluttered, dusty, messy etc.

I feel overwhelmed by it all.
Again I just sit and look at it or think about what needs doing.

I feel almost glued to my chair or bed.
I have become agoraphobic and can’t go out

I am wasting my life I know.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Getting Your Life Back! 1